Skip to content

Announcements

Please drop by and visit at the Breast Cancer Friend to Friend and Pinkie Central.
12 Year Survivor Recently dx with brain mets
SunnySherrie posted:
I have recently celebrated being a 12 year survivor of breast cancer and 11 years bone mets that was recently dx with brain mets. I have had a 4 cm tumor surgically removed with a much smaller one treated by gamma knife. Where do I go next with this?

rachael67 responded:
After 12 years one might imagine you would have felt a bit assured that you would not have to deal with BC again. I cannot even begin to think of how frightening this news must have been! Please know that you are in my heart and that I will send every kind of good wish I have! (Damn magic wand is still too illusive but I continue to look!)

There is little information I can offer, but I have heard good success stories regarding the gamma knife. What does your medical team say regarding any other options or prognosis?

I would suggest, however, that you post not only here, but also on the main Breast Cancer board (Breast Cancer Community http://exchanges.webmd.com/breast-cancer-exchange ) That board is much more active and has many more members so you may find help there. Also, you will have an immediate support system which always offers so much emotionally.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. We truly do care for each of our Warriors!

blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

SunnySherrie replied to rachael67's response:
Thank you for responding to me Rachel67. I guess I should ghave told you that I did have breast cancer to come back or spread to my bones (in my left hip area) the next year but after radiation to that area and being put on Femara in 2001 up until 2012 I had no new occurences and I felt really good about the Femara and how the onco. was treating me all those years and then out of no where the brain mets came. I am scheduled to see my onco. this coming Fri. and I have been advised by 2 Duke Univ. Cancer Clinic doctors to undergo some type of head radiation since the cancer was found in my brain. I can do 5 high powered radiation treatments to the surgical site in the back of my head at Duke or I can go for full head radiation which the hospital near me offers and since I had 2 tumors one on each side of my head I assume the whole head radiation is the way I should go. I will check out the breast cancer board you talked about. I could really use the support right now of Breast cancer patients! Thank you!

rachael67 replied to SunnySherrie's response:
Dear Sherrie,
I have seen your posts in the main BC community, and was so glad you posted there! I hope you find folks there who can share experiences with you...At the very least, you will definitely know you are in their thoughts and have their support and concern.

We will be with you aboard the Pink Bus (She is our virtual mode of transport for all our members...We jump aboard "Pinkie" whenever anyone needs us with them for appointments or surgeries or whatever!) So, watch for us on Friday. We will be holding your hand and hoping you get the guidance you need to make the right choice.

Once you have a treatment plan in place, I think some of the anxiety may lessen as you know you are on the road to healing. Indecision can be wearing!

You are in my heart.

Blessings.
Rachael
Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly!
Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!!

SunnySherrie replied to rachael67's response:
Thank you Rachel and everyone who boarded the Pink Bus and holding my hand yesterday as I went back to the onco. I know that there are some whole head rads in store for me and I will see the rads onco. this coming Tues. AM I hope and pray that they will start the treatments then as I'm ready to get this much behind me now. I am also waiting on the new meds to be approved so I can start something new. I was on Femara since Sept. 2001 til Sept.4, 2010 so 2 months of not being on any cancer meds seems strange. I'll be in touch when I know more. Thanks again!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been coming to WebMd since before 2003. My dear wife passed away April 29,2006. It has been a lonely journey these past years. I have traveled ...More

Helpful Tips

What Is The Pink Bus???
One of our great resources is our famous PINK BUS! Some of you are familiar with her. Others may need a little introduction so I went back ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.