Skip to content
Re: Specks of blood in stool
Larissa_1985 posted:
So I took Lily to her pedi today because of the blood I saw in her diaper. Anyways, the doctor said it could be a number of things, i.e anal fissure, straining or sensitivity to milk protein. He said that it's a possibility that the DTaP vaccine she received last Monday could have caused a temporary lactose intolerance, which I thought was very interesting. So my pedi instructed me to stay away from cow's milk for a while and see if that helps. Thanks for the replies I got on my other post.

Lysana responded:
I didn't see your original post, but the day my DS "turned" 6 months, he started having specks of blood in his stool. After a few days went by and it didn't get better (the pedi had us give it time in case it was a bug), I had to cut all cow-dairy and all soy out of my diet. (I would have cut soy out anyway, as it made him SCREAM later if I drank soy milk.) Since then, the blood has stopped showing up as much. I have slipped up on the dairy a few times (had dishes at Christmas with cheese in them, for example) and he's had a little more blood in his diaper, but it's gotten a lot better. We got a stool sample into the doctor yesterday, so hopefully they can analyze it and tell us for sure whether it's dairy or if it's something else.

It's scary to see blood show up in your baby's poo when there isn't any apparent reason, isn't it? I mean, Joshua went 6 months without it, with me on a normal diet, and then all of a sudden - BAM - there it is.

I hope you (and we) can get it sorted out quickly, and that everything is okay!

pennimb responded:
My 11 week old had her immunizations last Tuesday and had the exact same problem today, Mt pedi instantly said it was milk intolerance and gave me this insane list of things you can't have. It is either a diet change for as long as I breast feed ,or switch to formula. Is this the case for you as well?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Farin. I'm 22 and a first-time mommy. My husband is a Marine and I work part-time as a pharmacy technician. My daughter, Jazlyn, was bo...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.