Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extended Nursing
martinsmom posted:
Is anyone here still nursing? Martin turned 2 on Halloween and I am still nursing him to sleep at night. He also nurses sometimes during the day if he is overly tired or sick.

I am actually still ok with it mostly. However I am getting comments left and right about him nursing through college and its getting a little old.

carlias responded:
That is your decision to make. If that is what you want to do then to he## with everyone else. I think that is awesome you are able to still nurse at 2!

sarakraut responded:
My son will be 1 in 12 more days are we are still nursing 7-8 times a day. I plan to start cutting out the daytime feedings, but I will let him self-wean on the morning and bedtime nursing sessions. If he is still nursing at 2, then so be it! I know it is hard, but try not to let the comments bother you. You know that you are doing what is best for the health and well being of your child. Don't let another person's ignorance ruin your accomplishment!

MrsCrusen responded:
You know whats best for the 2 of you. I never set a deadline or even a goal, we're just going along with what works for us - so far we're 7-1/2 months and going strong. Its so easy now, DD LOVES it and I'm going to just keep seeing how we're doing as time goes on. People have comments for everything, sorry they're picking on you but you just keep doing whatever is working and whats best for the 2 of you.

skerina responded:
My mom had 3 kids and we all nursed until at least age 4 years. After the nutritional phase, it was mostly a morning and evening thing, or as you said, if overly tired or sick.

You could try being a bit sassy with comebacks...you know, like "Any shipping suggestions for when he's in college?" or.... "I guess I'll just go to college with him..." I'm pretty well known for being a smart aleck, though.

-Amber

MISSBUBBLEYAJG responded:
Its a personal decision, but good for you. I do plan to BF until 1 year, but really if we are still going strong then I dont see any reason to stop. I never knew how much past the first month and a half that I would BF'ing so much.

javabean19 responded:
DItto to PP, good for you and ignore them! America has a very funny stigma with nursing more than most countries. It's very very natural and normal and people get squeamish and attach sexuality to it when there shouldn't be-that's usually the underlying problem when they make comments like that. For thousands of years babies have naturally been nursing for the first few years of their lives, and they still get so many positive benefits from it, don't let it get to you! ~ Becca

GlowingPrego responded:
Hi Holly!

Before I say anything I honestly hope I don't offend anyone (you too my dear Amber)

First off, I think 2 is still ok I personally think i wouldn't go past 2 and 1/2.... but I think it's a total personal decision!! If you are going to BF to whenever, I'm not going to say anything to your face or discourage you, that's not fair..

But I think when my co-worker BF her son until he was 4.5yr., that was kinda weird for me, but once again, that's just personally for me.

I encourage you to go for what you want,

blkchrry4utoo responded:
My daughter will turn 3 in January and I am still breastfeeding her. It was never my intention to go this long with her but I believe that she will wean when she is ready. She still nurses throughout the day and she sleeps with us so it is also several times through the night. (she does not sleep through the night) Thankfully I have the full support of my husband. Hopefully she decides that she has had enough before she goes to preschool.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.