Skip to content
One beer a day?
chelsea414 posted:
Hello Ladies! I am new here, I just had my LO December 29. When he was in the hossy he was so good at breastfeedng that he wanted more and more but my supply hadn't come in yet so we had to supplement w/formula. Once my milk came in he STILL wanted more (he's a big boy LoL) and he would nurse for an hour or more at a time EVERY HOUR!! Well I was exhausted so I decided to pump exclusively and supplement with formula ONLY if he was still hungry. Now I'm pumping just enough for him and would like to build up a freezer supply for when I go back to school, I heard that drinking a beer a day helps with supply and since its only one, it won't affect LO.... is this true??... I'm nervous to even drink caffine so I don't wanna do this is it will enter into my breastmilk. Please help! TIA!!!

jlynnpaine responded:
My doctor told me one per day is just fine. I always make sure to pump or nurse DD, then have my beer just in case. It hasn't seemed to help a whole lot though. Have you tried pumping more often and for at least 20 minutes at a time? I think that will help you up your supply more than the beer. Good luck.

chelsea414 responded:
Thank you for responding! I pump everytime he eats which is usually every 3 hours. Sometimes if I feel full I'll pump sooner. My supply is okay but I would really love to make more just in case b/c like I said I'm only making JUST enough, not extra and I'm worried he'll start to need more and I won't be able to make enough.

DianaG49424 responded:
Hi Chelsea,

There are a few things I've tried to up my supply at different times- oatmeal every morning (old fashioned 5 minute oats not the packets) and fenugreek 3x a day. You can buy fenugreek caplets or seeds to make into tea at your local health food store.

And as to the beer, I don't know that it helps your supply but it is totally fine to have a beer. The alcohol in your milk metabolizes at the same rate as it does in your blood- so if you are sober there isn't a significant amount in your milk. There are testing strips you can buy at Walgreens if you are worried about the alcohol content of your milk.

I have to say that from what I've read on here and my own experience pumping while at work that most women find it easier to breast feed directly without pumping. Everyone finds the first few weeks of breast feeding very difficult and uncomfortable. It will get easier, I promise. I found that my milk was established and my LO and I had a good pattern going by 2 months. I also don't believe that it is the end of the world if you supplement with formula even once a day. When you feel you need to give him formula have your significant other feed him while you pump to let your body know that you need to make more milk. I just think that you might want to keep trying to breast feed and not commit to pumping, it will not be easier in the long run.

Good luck!

Jcurzon responded:
I've heard the one beer a day suggestion, and many women swear by it, but on the breastfeeding support website kellymom.com, I've read that it is not advised for use to increase milk supply. Here is the link to the page that discusses it.

www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

HTH.

andprice responded:
I don't drink alcohol at all, and I wouldn't recommend you do it while BFing. One a day is kind of a lot.

If you need ways to boost your supply, go to www.llli.org. that's the la leche league website, They have articles and forums with great advice--better than drinking beer, at least.

The best way to boost supply is to pump or BF longer/more often.

HTH!

Malinali responded:
Hello Chelsea, my baby was born on November 2, I drank 1 beer everyday and it works, of course I asked the doctor before start to drink , he told me 1 beer a day was ok, and I started to have more supply I also found helpful 1 glass of red wine a day, I dont know why but I think alcohol helps to produce more milk and after 1 month and a half I stopped drinking it and now my supply its ok to brestfeed my baby. I hope this info helps you. Sorry for the writting english is not my mother language.

mrselle916 responded:
I have heard the same thing, a beer a day will help. But i believe it has to be a dark beer or a lager. Not any beer will do. Hope that helps!

chelsea414 responded:
Thank you all for responding! I haven't tried it yet b/c I got an infection in one of my breasts a couple days ago and my supply went way down plus I'm dehydrated so nothing but h2o for me right now. I'm going to try it soon but I don't think I'll do it everyday, and I think I'll try the fenugreek also, I was just a little nervous about it too but I'll give it a try! Thank you ladies again!

ilovespeech responded:
Chelsea,

When I first started exclusively pumping, I had to supplement a feeding or 2 with formula. Then I read on here about power pumping-you pump every 2 hours for at least 20-30 minutes. I did that for a few days and my supply increased and I had more BM and was able to freeze some too. Now during the day I pump every 2-4 hours (depending on what is going on) and about every 4-6 hours at night. Sometimes I power pump again for a day to keep my supply up.

Good luck!

Jenny0319 responded:
It does help. I've been struggling lately due to AF returning and on the night I have a beer (Shiner Bock- it has to be a dark beer to be most effective) followed by a glass of water & the next day I could pump a couple more ounces than the day before. It's happened several times. I don't always want one so I might skip a night or 3 then have one again and I always notice a pretty good increase the next morning! It shouldn't affect baby though it may make him a little gassy due to the ingredients in the beer, not related to the alcohol. Your body filters out alcohol in breastmilk over time just as it does in your bloodstream. I always just gave it an hour before nursing again, my LC said as long as you're not feeling the effects of the alcohol you should be fine to nurse.

ljpextra responded:
think if it is a higher hops beer is the kind that helps - not like a light or whatever. i am not a beer drinker but may start experimenting just in case. one a day does seem like alot, perhaps a couple times a week?

macangel92 responded:
Mother's Milk Tea works well you can buy it in organic sections of grocery stores, GNC, and I believe WalMart carries it...the other night I had one Sam Adams and the next morning I felt like I had bowling balls on my chest lol...it really did help. I also read through the academy of pediatrics that 1-2 beers goes through your system in 2-3 hours so there isn't a chance of it going into your breastmilk, hope this helps!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Michaele. I am married and have three awesome kids. Evan is 7, Savannah is 4, and baby Adeline (Addy) is 3 months. I am new to the forums b...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.