Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how long does the pain last
kbswrp posted:
so this is my first baby and i think i need a little help. i want to breastfeed so bad because i know how good it is for the baby, but it is so frustrating. he is 5 days old and he has the worst time trying to figure out where to latch on. and the second i direct him and get him in the right spot he starts whaling! he had a dr appt today and they have a lactation consultant there who helped me and i got him latched for the first time since he was born and he fed for about 15 minutes but it was sooo painful! i am so proud i have nursed him twice now but he (or i should say we) are having a very hard time. and plus the pain is awful. does the pain stop or is it something i will have to deal with until i wean him? i know i am engorged right now and that is why my whole breast is achey but what about my nipples... are they going to hurt all the time until i am done breastfeeding?

1stTimeJMom responded:
Congratulations on your new baby! Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing - good for you for really wanting to try. Rest assured that the pain will not last. During the learning stage, it is easy for your nipples to get sore, and then throw in engorgement = OUCH! However, while your son is nursing, his sucking should not be hurting you. If it is, you don't have him latched properly. Right now you will probably feel a bit of discomfort, simply because your nipples are irritated, but out right pain means he isn't latched properly. Really get your nipple in his mouth, and try to have his bottom lip at the bottom of your areola. There are a lot of useful pages online that show proper latching.

Another pc of advice - invest in some Lansinoh cream. Slather that stuff on after every feed (and anytime you feel the urge). You don't have to wipe it off before you feed your son - it is perfectly fine for him to ingest. I found this really helped with the pain.

Again - it WILL get better. If it didn't, I wouldn't still be nursing my 15-month-old (and my first DS wouldn't have been nursed until he was 18 months ). Good luck!

missbeth1982 responded:
Like PP said: Hang in there! It gets easier! the first two-3 weeks are the hardest.

3foldcord responded:
YES - I AGREE - mins just tured a month - and i really didnt know how iwas gonna get through it when i looked down at my babys onesz outfit on the way to her first peditrician apt (4th day of life) and saw blood i thought OH NO WHATS GOING ON - only to find my entire nipple's skin had pilled off and looked blistered - ohh by the way my baby also had blood in her diaper when the doctor went to check her - 3 days later i talked to one of my girlfriends and she and all of her sisters had it a lot worst!!! and she encoraged me - TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO YOUR BABY'S LATCH, somethings not right - MAKE SURE YOUR BABY IS COMING OFF OF YOUR BREAST CORRECTLY TOO - the next few days i did just that - before you know it, in like less then a week i felt 50% better and now i cant even remember how bad it felt HANG IN THERE!!!!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Positioning is key. Once you really get the positioning down consistently-there shouldn't be any pain unless you have a thrush/yeast infection going on.

If you are engorged, you may need to hand express a bit to help relieve the engorgement in order for him to get a good latch.

I never could nurse a newborn without a "My Breast Friend" nursing pillow. I had lousy positioning with a Boppy or with just my arms or a normal pillow when they were tiny.

Of course, once you have nipple pain-it takes a bit to heal. Warm moist compresses, rinsing the area and using a bit of breast milk to heal cracks really is the best. (Unless you do have a yeast infection/thrush going on)

Keep calling the lactation consultant at the pediatrician's office-see if she does home visits at all. Consider calling a La Leche League leader. Don't be afraid to ask for help and keep asking for help. I breastfed three children-with three different issues in the beginning. I didn't ask for enough help with the first one and even when it was offered I was embarrassed. My second and third were nursing champs once we got the hang of being a nursing couple.

KC_94920 responded:
Congrats on your baby boy!

Nursing my kids is one of the hardest things I've ever done but in the end, has been the greatest source of joy. It does get easier but you have to help him perfect his latch. If he's latched on in the wrong position it will hurt and the hurt will turn to sores and then they'll peel and bleed. If damage has already been done to your nips, it will take a week or so to completely heal but it will heal and your nipples will get tougher with each feeding. Lansinoh is a big help as is allowing your breast to air dry after feedings, also change breast pads often and nurse that baby as much as humanly possible. Avoid bottles if you can as they won't help him get better at nursing.

I know it's hard but if you really want to BF then keep at it as best you can. Try different positions too. My DD1 preferred the "football" hold which was challenging but once we got it everything was easier. Like your DS, she also needed help getting latched on and I can remember dreading having to pull her off and switch sides. Getting her to latch when drowsy was easiest and it was the most frustrating when she was starving so I avoided that at all costs.

Be proud of yourself and try to relax.

Jcurzon responded:
Good for you for trying so hard, I know it is painful (this is my second baby too and I nursed my first for a year, this one is very different!) My son is just 12 days old and I am in a ton of pain still, but it is getting better. He had a very bad latch from the get go and it is taking time to "train" him to get a better latch. My lifesaver has been a breastfeeding support group. Other BF moms and lactation consultants there to physically help show me how to get the latch right and just offer support and advice. I go twice a week and call the lactation consultants when I'm having a bad time in between meetings. Call your local La Leche League or as the hospital where you delivered to find out if there is a support group near you. Keep calling the lactation consultants and don't be afraid to ask for help. Stick with it, before you know it, the pain will subside and you'll be glad you stuck it out. GL!

hzsqjc responded:
KAYLA!!! We had our little men the same day! I just came back to the boards to check and wanted to congratulate you!!!

AmnMom responded:
have 2 girls that i have nursed. The first one the pain lasted 2 weeks. the second only lasted 1 1/2 weeks. Nursing is something you do. it's not something you try. neither girl had a bottle for the first 4 weeks. TIP: the "c hold" thing isn't as effective as it should be. move your "c hold" further down gently pinch and shove. this will get more in and will in turn hurt less. once my mil told me about this my pain dissappeared almost instantly. I'm still nursing my 12 1/2 month old. good luck! p.s. i really hope you read this!

Punches responded:
Hi. This is my first and I thought I was going to die from the pain of breastfeeding. I had a yeast infection at one point which was HORRIBLE and he took a while to figure out the right latch... but eventually we figured it out. Now I pump during the day (it is just easier with my work schedule) and then nurse at night. He's 10.5 weeks and about 13 lbs and doing great. And... it doesn't hurt anymore. It doesn't exactly tickle, but I promise you, it DOES get better. Hang in there. And if you can't, try pumping. There are a lot of exclusive pumpers out there. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 36 y/o and I am truly blessed to have 2 beautiful and brilliant girls. My eldest is turning 9 this March and my youngest is 26 m/o. I am a proud ...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.