Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tips/Help for sore nipples
nsjtodd posted:
I am a new mom and we have been breast feeding for two weeks. I am still having alot of pain when she first latches on and I am still very tender. I was curious to know how long this will last? Is there anything I can do that will help other than the lanolin?

tiff93722 responded:
You can take some Breastmilk and rub it on your nipp;es and let it air dry, try to go topless as much as possible and make sure you have a correct latch.

HotMomma87 responded:
The first 10 days are killer but it should slowly go away after that, and by 3 weeks it should be painless. If you're still in really bad pain or if you haved cracked/bleeding nipples you can try using a nipple shield (a silicone shield that covers your nipple but still allows for skin to skin contact with baby's nose and chin) while your nipples heal. Make sure the baby still latches on correctly (opening mouth reeeeaaally big) when latching onto the nipple shield/areola.
And keep using the lanolin!
Hope that helps, good luck!

nualla22 responded:
and make sure both cheeks are against your breast. If she is leaning back at all she could be pulling on the nipple causing pain.

cjl0510 responded:
cabbage leaves!! Just tear a piece off and place it in your bra after nursing. It soothes and helps them heal. Honestly I don't know what I would've done without my cabbage leaves lol ! Keep it in your frige

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 36 year old first time mom of Lauren. She was born 10/12/10. I am bf exclusively, but plan to pump from time to time so that I have back up ...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.