Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sensitivity to dairy products?
cjl0510 posted:
I am not sure, but I think my 5 month old gets more fussy when I eat more dairy. I have heard that dairy has protiens and lactose in it that makes it harder for babies to digest when your nursing. Has anyone experienced this or know anything about it?

jlenn responded:
Dairy sensitivity is very rare in babies, but it can happen. It usually is not the lactose, so switching to lactose-free products won't help. If your baby is sensitive to dairy it is the proteins, so you'd have to go completely off dairy. As I said, though, it is rare (my pedi said people seem to think it is a common issue, when really it is just fussiness for other reasons. She told me this when I was wondering the same thing as you about my baby. )

The thing to do would be cut dairy completely out of your diet for a week, and see if there are changes in your baby's behavior. If you do this, make sure to take a calcium supplement, since you need calcium for milk production.

After a week, if your baby's fussiness does not really change, you can add dairy back in. If it does change for the baby, then it was likely dairy sensitivity.

Babies outgrow this problem, usually at some point in the first year, so you won't have to be off dairy for too long. And some pediatricians say that after a month or so, you should start adding dairy back in your diet slowly -- it is not a true allergy or intolerance, so even babies who have this sensitivity can usually tolerate some dairy, so after a month you can start adding a little dairy back in to see how much is okay. And eventually, the sensitivity will just go away.

Mainemommy replied to jlenn's response:
Actually both DC did have this problem. I was able to find out for DD from the hives she had and the blood in her stools. DS was harder he was a more gassy baby but i didn't find out until i wanted to work and knew I would need to supplement (9months) Just from what spilled on his face from trying to get him to take a bottle his whole bottom half of his face turn red and the SCREAMS!!!! I took a lil milk and put it in the crook of his elbow and it bubbled right up with hives. You have to go 3 weeks no milk which also means no cheese no yogurt no Icecream no lactose no whey nothing you must read labels carefully Fortunaely since i had this issue they have passed a law telling you able allergins on labels. At first my son was so sentive he couldn't even drink soy made on like machinery. Good Luck

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.