Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone not pump while at work?
fsuchick1976 posted:
Does anyone not pump at work but still nurse at home? How does it work for you? How is your supply?

I've been out on maternity leave for 3 months (I'm a teacher). I went back to work today and will be working tomorrow. Then, I am off until August. I pumped today, but I didn't get as much as when I pump at home. I got just enough to replace what she drank today. I think it is because I can't relax. I have to pump in my classroom and I am so afraid that someone is going to walk in on me (I locked the door and put up a do not enter sign, but lots of people have keys). I don't mind so much doing it today and tomorrow b/c it is teacher planning days and it is just adults that are on campus. But I just don't think I am going to feel comfortable when the students return. So, I'm afraid that when I return to work in August, I am going to have to put DD2 on formula, it least during the day. I still want to try breastfeeding when I am at home with her. Do you think I will still produce enough during that time?

This makes me sad. With DD1, I was able to pump at work b/c there was an empty office that I could use (and even then I usually only got just enough, plus I was walked in on 3 times). However, that office is no longer available. The other teachers that have recently had babies don't breastfeed, so I can't ask them for advice.

When I go back, DD2 will be 5 1/2 months. I should have enough of a freezer stash to last until she is 6 months. I know I should be happy that she will have breastmilk for the first 6 months, but I wanted to go longer. Ugh. I promised myself I wouldn't stress out about breastfeeding this time around, but I can't help it.
Kim (33) DH (40) DD1 (7/08) DD2 (3/10)

fsuchick1976 responded:
BTW, I live in FL and there are no laws about employers having to provide a place to pump. The only law I can find is about being able to breastfeed in public.

mbooth87 replied to fsuchick1976's response:
Google the act that President Obama signed March 30. It states that all employers MUST provide a suitable space for a breastfeeding mother to pump (other than a bathroom) and they must give you reasonable time to pump. They don't have to compensate you for the time but they have to allow it.

jlenn replied to mbooth87's response:
mbooth87 is right, that under the healthcare bill employers in every state must provide time and space (other than a bathroom) for moms to pump. However, she does have a place to pump -- her own classroom, which she can lock. The law doesn't say employers need to build nursing rooms or anything: a person's own office/classroom is fine. But having a place and time to pump is different than feeling comfortable enough to relax. And I know that if you can't really relax, you won't get so much milk.

fsuchick, talk to the principal and let him/her know you will be pumping in your class during your prep time and other breaks, that you will lock the door and put a sign up, and that you should not be disturbed during that point. Your principal can let people know not to go in (your principal should be plenty able and willing to do that without saying why). If the principal balks, remember you have the new healthcare bill to support you and you could gently remind the principal that federal law requires the time and space to pump. (And that part of the law is effective right now.) Maybe knowing that no one will barge in will help you relax?

If you do not pump at work but still want to nurse, just make sure you nurse before you leave in the morning and as soon as you get back. Your milk supply will substantially diminish, obviously, but it probably will not disappear. Remember by the time your baby is 6 months and you go back to work, your DD will be starting solid foods and so will be nursing less. It won't be every 2 or 3 hours anymore, anyway. So you won't miss as many feedings as you might think -- so I bet you will be fine.

cjl0510 responded:
I work every other week working 10 hours at a time. I nurse before I leave for work, then I pump 5 hours after I've been at work, then I nurse him when I get home. I have not seen a dip in my supply. I know that it's not 8 hours, but your body will produce as much as your LO needs. So maybe you could pump an extra bottle before bed for the next day, and you could keep your supply somewhat up. You could even pump as soon as you get home two bottles and feed your LO just one of them. But I think you could get by even just nursing at night if that's what you wanted to do- a little breast milk is better than none .

nualla22 responded:
I'm so glad you asked this- I'm a high school counselor and my big guy will be 6 1/2 months when I return in september. My problem is that he is fighting me when eating with me now- it is sooo frustrating. I'm scared I'll have to stop soon b/c I can't have him screaming at me every time he eats!

Jackiek829 replied to nualla22's response:
oh nualla22 im so sad for you.It is hard to breastfeed and when they r fussin it makes it that much harder! Have u talked to a lactation consultant? they may be able to recommend something. my son used to do that too and it was because he needed to burp. Once he did he would finish nursing. I have also read that it could be due to ur flow being to heavy for him the article said try to lie down while nursing that it may be slower just because of gravity.

To Fsuchick i recommend talking to the principal also, to set ur mind at ease about the barging in thing maybe listen to ur an ipod while pumping and try to think about ur lil one. Thats what i do and i pump in the bathroom not because i have to but i choose to. I could use the boardroom i suppose.My boss so far has been very cool and has even let my sitters bring my son to me at work, because he wont drink a bottle. Good luck!
Jackie 31, DH Kurt 33, DD Ashlie 14, DD Gwen 9, DS Treyen 3mos.

nualla22 replied to Jackiek829's response:
I have started laying down with him. I essentially try everything I can think of! today I started making loud buzzing noises which distracted him and then I shoved my boob in his mouth and he ate just fine! I actually go to a lactation group- so I'll talk to the lc tomorrow. thanks for the sympathy and support

fsuchick1976 replied to cjl0510's response:
Thank you for your reply. I was looking for someone with experience and encouragement.

I did find out that another teacher did pump. She offered to let me use the storage closet in her classroom. The bad thing is that I don't want to interrupt her when she has classes plus she is way on the other side of the campus. I will probably try to use her room after school. I talked to the school nurse and I can use the bathroom in the clinic. Again, not an ideal situation. I wouldn't want to eat my lunch in the bathroom while I'm pumping.

One thing I hated when I pumped for DD1, was that I had to pump during lunch. I hated having to eat lunch alone. I missed socializing with others. I might try just pumping every other day at lunch.

I'm sure I'll figure something out

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.