Skip to content
New Here
cdjd82406 posted:
I thought that I would join you gals because I really want to breastfeed my baby that is due in September. I have had some trouble in the past with breast feeding but I really want to give it one more shot. With my first, she stopped feeding due to her father hugging me with a strong smelling cologne on. Needless to say, she thought that I was him and refused to eat. With my second, I think that my son just wasn't getting enough. He was literally up every two hours after I had brought him home and instead of gaining weight, he was losing weight. I was too engorged to breastfeed with my third and with fourth child, she did breastfeed for the first two weeks but again I became severely engorged,
I had read that you can pump before baby is born as long as it is okay by the doc so I am going to ask about that at my appointment tomorrow. Formula feeding was nice but it was also a pain in the neck when it was the middle of the night and I was half asleep. Plus the formula stinks really bad in my opinion. Are there any tips that made BFing easier? Thank you in advance.

fsuchick1976 responded:
I don't think that you should try to pump before the baby is born. I believe that can bring on contractions and cause early labor. Besides, I'm not sure that your body would be producing milk just yet. Your first "milk" will be colostrum.

You said that you became engorged and couldn't feed your 3rd and 4th child. Since you mentioned pumping, I'm assuming you have a pump. If you become engorged, you can pump a little and then put your baby to the breast. That should help.

I highly recommend getting in touch with the lactation consultant at your hospital. They will be your best source of advice.
Kim (33) DH (40) DD1 (7/08) DD2 (3/10)

babybman responded:
engorgment shouldnt be a reason not to bf. it should be a reason to bf! it means you should feed more often!
don't pump before the baby is born like pp said it can bring on early labor. you should put the baby to breast first thing and as often as he'll eat after that. it doesn't have to be every 2 hours or whatever. i would do it every 30 minutes if i were you. Every chance i had to nurse in the hospital, i did. if you become engorged then pump a little off until it's easier for the baby to latch on.

www.naturemonster.com

jlenn responded:
A few things to keep in mind:

For the first few days, your baby WILL lose weight. That is totally normal with breastfed babies, because your milk does not fully come in for a few days. Once it comes in then your baby will start to gain back the weight.

Also, a baby needing to nurse every couple of hours is normal the first few weeks, and does not mean your milk is not enough. It's just that breastfed babies nurse frequently. Every two hours is right on track. You'll be feeding 10-12 times during the first month or so.

Occasionally, they will even "cluster feed" in the beginning -- need to nurse more often for part of the day (as in, every 45 minutes for a few hours). The space between feedings will get longer as time goes on (my DD is 10 weeks and goes 2-3 hours during the day, and sleeps through the night. She nurses about 8 times a day, give or take.)

If you are so engorged your LO cannot latch on, then express a little milk before you feed (pump some, or express by hand). That should work fine. And if you are uncomfortable, get a warm washcloth and lay it on your breast, and *very* gently massage.

Talk to a lactation consultant for advice; your hospital should have one. You can also contact La Leche League to find one in your area ahead of time. They are a great resource!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 36 y/o and I am truly blessed to have 2 beautiful and brilliant girls. My eldest is turning 9 this March and my youngest is 26 m/o. I am a proud ...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.