Skip to content
How much??
jlg1978 posted:
I am new to posting, but, read all the topics on here and have learned a lot. I am the mother of a 5 1/2 week old. Her daddy wants to feed her and I will be returning to work part time in 1 1/2 months. How much should she be fed by bottle?? Does it depend on age, weight?? Anyone with advice I would appreciate it. Also, what can I do to increase milk production so, I can get a pumped supply for my return to work??

VeryFirst responded:
Well from my experience with my 7 week old, they eat as much as they want. When she was about your baby's age she will sometimes do a 4 oz bottle with her dad and sometimes a 6 oz bottle. It all depends on how much your baby wants to eat. I was told to let the baby depict how much she/he wants to eat. In regards to milk production the more your baby eats the more you will produce. It really is a supply and demand kind of thing. For my return to work, I started pumping around the time my daughter was 5 weeks old. If I fed her on one breast I would pump the other after her feeding. So I would only get about 4 oz pumped. It's kinda hard to get a high supply while your exclusively breast feeding because your baby is taking the majority of it. Now there were times when her dad would bottle feed to get her used to a bottle and breast and when she was bottle fed I was able to pump much more. So then I would get about two 4-5 oz bottles done. Now that I am back to work I am able to pump about 4-6 5oz bottles because my baby isnt with me to suck (no pun intended) up my supply.
So just start pumping little by little now and storing the milk in the freezer. If you try to do it once a day before you go back you will have enough stocked up for you little one to eat while you're working. Then just continue at work.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.