Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
breastfeeding and pumping dilemma
angelbabyann posted:
My DS is now 8 weeks 2 days. I exclusively bf'd him the first 6 weeks and since then I have been trying to pump in order for DH to feed him BM via bottle at night feeding so I can pump. I am trying to stock up for when he goes to day care when I go back to work in abt 6 more weeks. My problem is I started pumping after nursing him most feedings; while I get many oz in the am (I am sure from the night stretch), throughout the day I only seem to be getting a tiny amt and sometimes just a couple drops. I add it up all day and finish with the night pumping where I get a few oz from each breast again. My question is how long does it usually take to produce more milk at each pumping? Its been almost 3 days of doing this routine so far... does it take like a week or so??? Any advice would be appreciated!!! Thanks for the help!

cjl0510 responded:
What I did, which worked great - was I would wait until my LO went to sleep at night- because I knew I could get at least 4 hours out of him... then I would pump 2 hours after he fell asleep. That way I would have milk to pumo, but if he woke up 2-3 hours later I would still have milk to nurse him. I was able to stock up on alot of milk that way. Just something to try. Good luck! It will take a few days before you notice an increase in your supply.

mannydailey responded:
I had great success breast feeding but I never did pumping!!!!!! If you have a WIC center close to you, even if you are not on WIC....they will have a lactation consultant. That consultant more than likely has these superpower pumps that you can borrow! They worked better for me than anything I could buy!
Manny

fsuchick1976 responded:
Before stressing out about having a huge freezer supply when you go back to work, read this: http://www.workandpump.com/freezerstash.htm

If you are going to pump at work, you only need to be about a day ahead b/c you will send what you pump on Monday to daycare on Tuesday, what you pump on Tuesday gets sent on Wednesday, etc. If you won't be pumping at work, then I would see the need for a huge stash.

It does take a while to see an increase. When I'm at home, I pump after the morning and evening feedings. I don't bother w/ the others b/c the small amount I would get isn't worth having to wash the pump parts and bottles. But that is just me.
Kim (33) DH (40) DD1 (7/08) DD2 (3/10)

Jcurzon replied to fsuchick1976's response:
This works if you pump enough to replace what your baby is eating at daycare, but for me, when my first child, DD was about 5-7 months old, she was eating more out of a bottle at daycare than I could refill with the pumping all day at work, so I was essentially refilling the freezer with only about half to two-thirds of what she was eating. At about 8 months, I ran out of all "extra" supply and basically had to pump all weekend long just to supplement for the amount I couldn't make up during the week at work. So, I did need a bigger stash for that reason (I guess when she nursed off me she was getting way more than what I could get from the pump, which is normal). Anyway, with DS (Owen who is five months now), I started pumping randomly very early on (about 1.5 weeks postpartum) and have saved up a big stash, which I am now seeing the same pattern emerge with him. He eats 12 oz of milk at daycare during the day (sometimes a few more) and I produce about 8-10 oz during my pumping during the day. So, it's not as big a gap, but I am definitely starting now with pumping late at night, and on the weekends to build up enough to sustain the difference. Anyway, my suggestion if you want to build supply is 3-4 nights a week, get yourself up at about 2-3 am, you will be amazed at how much you can pump during that time. also, during those times you are pumping at work and only getting a few drops, you may not be "letting down' your milk so you might have to stay on the pump longer (up to a half hour or 45 minutes at times), use a very high setting on your pump, or even get a new hospital grade pump, to get your milk to flow during those times when your supply is lower (it decreases throughout the day). Just some ideas. I agree with pp who said to contact a local lactation consultant, at WIC or at the hospital where you delivered, if you go in and use a hospital grade pump you can tell right away if maybe your pump is just not working well enough when your supply is lower to get your let down going.

fsuchick1976 replied to Jcurzon's response:
Jcurzon - What you described is exactly what the article talks about. If you rely on your freezer stash to make up the difference, your body isn't getting the signal to make more milk. It just perpetuates the problem. The solution when your child drinks more is to pump more (I know, easier said than done). You might want to try power pumping or herbal supplements to get the supply up. And of course, nurse, nurse, nurse on the weekend.
Kim (33) DH (40) DD1 (7/08) DD2 (3/10)

Ingawahkiki responded:
This happened to me too. After nursing I just didn't have enough for the pump to extract. Those things are NEVER as effective as the baby. It can still work out well though.

Nursing is the best way to increase your supply. The baby is more effective in sending your body the signal to produce. The trick i have found is to nurse whenever you can. Before I came back to work I only had a couple of days stocked up. I pump every two hours at work and twice at night while DD is sleeping, and I have ONLY delved into the stash once. It's easy to get busy or lazy and you figure "I have the stash to fall back on." Don't fall into that. When you go back to work, pump at least as often as you would be nursing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 36 year old first time mom of Lauren. She was born 10/12/10. I am bf exclusively, but plan to pump from time to time so that I have back up ...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.