Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bottles/nipples that have worked for anyone??
jlg1978 posted:
We are intro'ing the bottle to my 6 wk old, anticipating my return to work in a month. Are there any bottles/nipples anyone had good results/luck with?? Any tips on intro'ing the bottle also??

jlc78 responded:
I've read this post a million times, lol! And the answer seems to be that it's different for every baby. We tried every bottle/nipple out there with DD. Everything. The only one she would entertain was Adiri. And even then it was a wasted attempt.

The First Years makes a bottle called "Breast Flow" which is supposed to be the closest thing to the breast. But that didn't work for us. Gerber's Nuby is also supposed to be good. Again, that didn't work.

I think our issue was that we waited too long and we weren't consistent with offering the bottle. So my advice: be consistent. Also, DD didn't like to be held when she was given a bottle. She asssociated the closeness of being held with nursing. The only way she ever took a bottle was sitting in her swing.

Lots of luck!

seeit2 replied to jlc78's response:
We gave DS a few different ones and settled on Dr Brown's. I think it is more boobie-like than many of the others. I would just keep trying a new one every few days, and like PP said don't associate it with nursing if you can help it.

fsuchick1976 replied to seeit2's response:
I've always used the Playtex drop-ins with a slow flow silicone nipple. They've worked with both my girls.
Kim (33) DH (40) DD1 (7/08) DD2 (3/10)

Ingawahkiki responded:
Playtex makes a nipple that is supposed to replicate breastfeeding. The nipples are wider at the base and they can latch on similarly. They sell both the drop-ins and the vent-air with these nipples and DD does well with these. I'm not a fan of the drop-ins so much because I feel like they aren't as good with the colic as the vent-air.

If I can't nurse for any reason, or when I was trying to get her used to bottles before returning, DD would NOT have it with me giving her a bottle. Don't get upset if this happens. They associate you with nursing and get frustrated with you bottle feeding. I just let DH or someone else bottle feed her.

Your baby may be different though, so experimentation may be needed.

Rollei78 responded:
I am breastfeeding and using a bottle. The bottle that has worked best for me is the "Breastflow" from First Years. It was recommended by the lactation nurse when I gave birth. My baby has no problem going from one to the other. Good Luck!!

cjl0510 responded:
My little guys takes the wal-mart cheap bottles no problem. So did my first son. They way I see it, if your LO IS having a hard time being introduced to a bottle- then shop around. But why not try the cheap ones first and see if your LO likes them? I am happy I don't have expensive bottles, that way if I lose one or anything happens to one it's not a big deal. Good luck!

VeryFirst responded:
My daughter only takes the NUK brand. Her paci's are NUK also. She has no problem going back and forth. I guess the nipple is shaped like the mother's nipple.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I married my best friend in May of 2008, although we lived across the street from each other since the 6th grade, we never talked till after high scho...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.