Skip to content
Birth Control while BFing
MarissasMommy posted:
I used the mini-pill last time I BF. I was wondering if anyone has experience with IUD, Mirena, etc while BFing. I *almost* decided to do Essure (like getting your tubes tied, but without surgery) but changed my mind. I just CAN'T make myself do anything permanent. I'm only 31! lol Anyway, the idea of something that will last 5 years, but can be removed at any time appeals to me. But IDK if it's okay to use while BFing, and I've heard horror stories about Mirena. But then, you hear horror stories about everything related to reproduction (labor, epidural not working, etc), right??

sarakraut responded:
I too used the minipill last time, but wanted something different this time around. We are 99.99% sure we are done, but neither of us are ready to make it permanent. I ended up getting the Paraguard IUD 7 weeks ago. It is hormone free and good for up to 10 years. So far, no complaints! I have some mild cramping and spotting for the first 2 weeks, but that has subsided and all is well.

MarissasMommy replied to sarakraut's response:
Thanks, Sara. I feel the exact same way about being 99.9% sure...but not ready for permanent measures!

jlg1978 replied to MarissasMommy's response:
I just had the Paragaurd IUD put in last Fri. So far I have no complaints!! Being hormone free really appealed to me and 99.8% effective. I am also 31 and pretty sure we are done but didn't want to do anything perm and wanted to continue BFing. It was a good choice for us I think.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I married my best friend in May of 2008, although we lived across the street from each other since the 6th grade, we never talked till after high scho...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.