Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hard to feed... questions???
emily8091457 posted:
I am EBF'ing my 3 1/2 month old. She is growing fine I think and is eating enough, but it's SUCH a struggle to nurse her. I seem to remember my DD#1 having similar issues... but it's been a little while. I know DD#1 was put on Zantac for reflux... not sure if it helped that much or not. But now we have a new pedi and he's said that unless a baby isn't gaining wait or is in a LOT of pain from reflux that he doesn't Rx meds for it. He says LOTS of babies have reflux. I'm fine with that. And I don't even know that DD#2 has it.

But this is what she does when she eats. She will start to fuss and cry and pull off and her legs are kicking and she just bucks around the whole time (this is isn't EVERY time she eats... but quite often). She is VERY gassy!!! It seems like she swallows air a lot. I've noticed that especially at first, when she pulls off my nipple (which she does a lot) my milk will be spraying out and she sometimes chokes. So I'm not sure if that's causing her to be so fussy when she eats or what. But does anyone else have problems feeding their LO's? Like I say, I do remember DD#1 being like that when she was little too... but it seemed to get better as she got older (I BF her until she was about 14 months) I just don't know what to do about it. I mean she seems like she's in pain the whole time... like she's trying to work out a toot or she's got a big bubble or she's getting too much milk... or something... I don't know. But nursing time is not usually a peaceful time for us.

cjl0510 responded:
Yes! I went through the exact same thing with my LO for the first 4 months. It sounds like your let down is fast- mine was also. When that happens they try to swallow so fast that they swallow a TON of air- and so they then become VERY gassy. I would have to pat his little back WHILE he was eating so some of the air would come up.

I would reccommend maybe pumping the first little bit off so that your let-down isn't so strong before she eats. Also the best way to burp out air that would keep him calm enough to let me, was holding him underneath his ribs facing outwards - and walking him around with a bounce. It ALWAYS got his hard to get burps out. But it will get better I promise. It might also be a bad habit she got out of utero by swallowing air - that is what someone told me when I told them my LO was swallowing a ton of air. Good luck ~ hope that helps!

ljlflorida responded:
The same thing just started happening with my DD. I used to enjoy BF her and it was pleasant until recently. She has been diagnosed with reflux though. When my DD starts to fuss and cry and won't latch on again, I just call it quits until she's hungry again.

She also does better when we are laying in bed. It's bad for her reflux but she eats a lot more when in bed for some reason. When I'm BF in the living room or in a more public setting, I keep her at an angle instead of flat. I also burp her mid feeding as well and we get at least 1 or 2 really good burps. I do like pp said and bounce her just a bit.

If she's still fussy and I can't soothe her after feedings, I give her Colic Calm which is great for gas & reflux. I tried Mylicon drops but they didn't do anything for her.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm married mom of a handsome 4 year old boy named J.R. and a beautiful baby girl Kira, who was born 1/31/11. I'm BF'ing for the first tim...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.