Skip to content
'BREASTFEEDING QUESTION" PLEASE HELP
llyrem posted:
I have a 1 year and 6 months old daughter. I am still full breastfeeding her until now. I'm planning to stop breastfeeding because I'm going to school this semester. She doesn't know how to suck the nipple on a bottle. Any tips on how I might be able to bottle-feed my baby? It's just very difficult for me to to go to school and go home on my break time and breastfeed my baby then come back to school again for my next class.

Brubee responded:
Hello. Does she drink from a sippy cup? I weaned my dd at 14 months cold turkey. I just gave her a sippy of warm milk and some snuggles at bed time. She cried at bed time for a couple of evenings and then was just fine. Hope this helped good luck.

Brubee replied to Brubee's response:
I forgot to add that my daughter never took a bottle so it is possible to skip the bottle all together. Your daughter at 18 months should be fully capable to not have to take a bottle.(baring any conditions that were not posted) If you skip it you wont have to break her of it later. But you are mommy so whatever you decide will be good. have a good day

Mainemommy replied to Brubee's response:
When I added supplements to Ds when he was 10m so I could work I skipped the bottle over his dead body he was using a bottle. I had to starve him for 7 hrs though to get him to take it. You may need to try serveral differnet sippys Nuby (wal mart) makes one with a silcon top. They changed it while we still used them. Oh God the screaming.

llyrem replied to Brubee's response:
Hi. Thanks for your response. She can drink from a sippy cup but my problem is on how she will drink milk at night while she was sleeping. She wakes up several times during nighttime and I had to wake up also to breastfeed her. I have morning classes and it's just really hard for me to sleep. I bought her formula milk and she just refuses to drink it. She really just wants to be breastfed. My pedia recommends to also give her formula milk because my milk can't sustain the nutrients she needed but my baby refuses to drink it. What will I do?

llyrem replied to Mainemommy's response:
Hi. What do you mean by supplements?

Mainemommy replied to llyrem's response:
Formula With him being 10m I couldn't pump enough on the off. She's 18m old now? Not only can you give her cow's milk but the pedi also told me with DS 11 or 12m that he didn't need to be fed at night any longer they just want you to think they need it. Have daddy go to her at night and just cuddle her a bit. Or try not going at all. they need to learn to requite them selves. Now if you where talkinjg a 6month old child that would be different

jlynnpaine replied to llyrem's response:
Your pedi wants her to have formula at 18 months? Did she say why she didn't want you to just give her whole milk? Most kids can switch to whole milk at a year.

As for the night feedings, she certainly doesn't need them at this point. I would try to wean her from those. It may be difficult but at this age, it's really not necessary. I don't know how you feel about CIO but that is what I would do for the night time feedings. I weaned my DD from middle of the night feedings at 10 months using the Ferber method which is a modification of CIO.

Also, do you have a breast pump? If so, you could pump some milk and mix it with the formula or whole milk to help her adjust to the taste. As she gets used to it, you add less & less BM until she's completely on the other type of milk.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 36 y/o and I am truly blessed to have 2 beautiful and brilliant girls. My eldest is turning 9 this March and my youngest is 26 m/o. I am a proud ...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.