Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleeping through the night and pumping
jlg1978 posted:
My 3 month old is sleeping through the night for about 2-3 weeks now (yeah) but should I still be getting up during the night to pump?? I have noticed a decrease in the amounts I am pumping in the morning, from 5-8 oz to only about 3-5 oz now. Any suggestions on herbal supplements?? what and how much?

big_new_fam responded:
Some ladies on here would suggest to not pumping at night because your body will soon adjust. I on the other hand tried this and I ended up with a blocked duct and didn't realize it. So when I tried again the next night I noticed in the morning that I woke up with a 102 fever. Basically I ended up with mastitis and was placed on several antibiotics. So, I now just deal with waking every three hours to pump. There are some herbal medicines to help but I am not sure what they are. My son is 4 months now and has been sleeping through the night since week 3. I miss my sleep but I know this is best for me and him.

Debaroonie replied to big_new_fam's response:
I was in the same boat. My daughter started sleeping 6-8 hours a night. I just called the hospital ad spoke with the nurse that helps with the BF and she said I didnt have to wake up to pump & to y sleep. She did ask if my daughter was gaining weight ok & if how I was feeling. I was a little engorged the first couple nights but now I guess my body has adapted, I told her I was afraid it might lower my milk supply & she said my body would make the milk my baby needed. THe lady at the health dept. did tell me to wake up & pump. I questioned that & that is why I called the hospital. I also asked my daughters doctor and she said no I didnt have to pump night. Sorry this is so long, just wanted to share this with you so you could enjoy your sleep!!!

Jcurzon replied to Debaroonie's response:
I had a friend who's baby slept through the night early (mine never have, lol). But she would pump at like 11pm and then get up about 4 or 5am and pump. That way she would not go a full 8-9 hours without pumping, but she did get a good 5-6 hours sleep in a row (which I'm jealous over!) But she never had supply issues this way. HTH.

Jen

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 20 year old mother of two. My daughter is 3 my son is 8 weeks.I love my children and would do anything for them.

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.