Skip to content
Help! Should I pump?
peachyisthelife posted:
Ok so I'm trying to dry my milk up. I was pumping 5 times a day (no nursing). I did 4 for a little while. Now I'm doing other things like drinking sage tea, cabbage leaves, and a few other things that are supposed to dry up milk. I want this over as soon as possible (my doctor said I can't take my med while BFing). Now I've gotten several clogs while doing all this. Right now, I have some hard spots on my breats, but how can I know whether they're clogs or just hard spots from being full of milk? I was planning on pumping just 3 times today but I'm also tempted to just stop pumping completely and let it dry up sooner. But I'm paranoid that I'll get clogs again and then have to pump a lot. I just can't tell if they're clogs or not....

fsuchick1976 responded:
You can't take your meds while breastfeeding, but can you start taking them sooner if you are just pumping and dumping until things get dried up? Can you ask your doctor for some meds to help you dry up?
Kim (33) DH (40) DD1 (7/08) DD2 (3/10)

peachyisthelife replied to fsuchick1976's response:
Yeah I thought of that actually! I hate the thought of dumping my milk but I'll have to. I still want to hurry up this drying process, it's so dang annoying.

cjl0510 replied to peachyisthelife's response:
Yeah and it's painful too to stop so suddenly. Try weaning it down over a week would be my suggestion. You don't want to get mastitis or clogged painful ducts either. Good luck!

ntherelng replied to cjl0510's response:
Either way if they are clogs or just knots from being full, massage them out in the shower then pump and it will help get rid of them quicker. I've even worked to express a little milk with my hands in the shower to work out the knots. That way you can work on them to get them down and not have to "pump them out" and produce more milk.
Renee (37) DH (43) DS1 10/01/08 EBF 9 mos. DS2 06/20/10 6lb. 19 1/2 and so beautiful!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I married my best friend in May of 2008, although we lived across the street from each other since the 6th grade, we never talked till after high scho...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.