Skip to content
for those who pump....
MizLeah posted:
How many times a day doyou pump and how much do you average per a session? I exclusivley pump and my daughter is 13 weeks old, she eats 4 oz bottles of my expressed milk. I pump about 6 times a day and average 4 oz per a session. For my first morning pump I get 8 oz. I just wanted to know if I averaged out or if I am still low on my supply.

cjl0510 responded:
Sounds like your doing great! Keep up the good work! I work 10 hour shifts every other week. I pump twice at work. Each time I pump I get 8 ounces. But I wait 5 hours between each session. Hope that helps! My DS still eats 4 oz bottles and he is almost 8 months.

Jcurzon responded:
You're ahead of me by far, lol. I nurse when I'm home, but I pump at work, usually 3x per day. I get anywhere from 3-5 oz (between both breasts) for one pumping. It sounds like you're doing fine!

ashers_mommy514 responded:
pump 3 times in a 10 hour work day and get 18-20 oz total. its just enough for DS for the next day at grandmas. he is 4 months old

ukbluegirl02 replied to ashers_mommy514's response:
I pump 3xs a day during the week and nurse on the weekends. I get approximately 10 oz in the early am, and about 6-8 oz for each of the other two pumping sessions. My DD (6 months old) takes 3 seven oz bottles a day at daycare and we use some of the expressed milk to make her cereal for dinner. Our deep freezer as well as the fridge freezer are FULL of milk and I'm still average a bag (15-20 oz) of excess milk each week. I'm thinking I MAY quit pumping soon. My goal was to get DD to 9 months without supplementing. At this rate we may make it to 1YO.

iiicrazycats responded:
I pump 3x/day (8.5hrs) and get a total of 12ozs (usually 5, 4 and 3). Each session takes me 30 mins with two let-downs and lots of compression/massage. I wish I could figure out HOW to get more out of the pump b/c it would make me feel so much better! I feel like I'm always stressing about it. wondering if I went down to 2 sessions I would get more milk?! Seems illogical.

my DD is about the same age and takes 4ozs/feeding. she would drink more if the sitter gave it to her but I'm trying to hold her off (see my post). she's a 97th%ile baby so she's not hurting for calories at all.

I give EPers a ton of kudos, I can imagine how much more work that is!
~Jenn (34)~Chris (35)~Simon (6)~Ravyn (2mos)~

iiicrazycats replied to ukbluegirl02's response:
  • *jealous**
    ~Jenn (34)~Chris (35)~Simon (6)~Ravyn (2mos)~
  •  
    ukbluegirl02 replied to iiicrazycats's response:
    Jealous of my freezer stash?

abbygailsmom1 replied to ukbluegirl02's response:
    Lynn I am jealous of your freezer stash!
    Me (30) DH (28) DD1 (5) DD2 (2) Baby 3 EDD 1/25/11

ukbluegirl02 replied to abbygailsmom1's response:
    Yeah but I know when I start using it, it will be gone quickly! This is our 3rd, but the only one that's been exclusively BF. I must admit it's been nice to not have to run out for a canister of formula!

Spotlight: Member Stories

What to do if you know of a mother that forces an 15 month old to breastfeed? She has him call them boobies and she laughs. He is expected to pull he...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
    Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.