Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
BFing in public
ashers_mommy514 posted:
just wondering how many of you moms are comfortable BFing in public (at the mall, dr office, etc)?

Take the Poll

What do you do when you need to feed your baby in public?
  • BF whenever, whereever
  • BF in certain places
  • BF only in private, take a bottle for public
vote
View Poll Results

jlc78 responded:
I've never had an issue with bfing in public. Whenever and where ever. I've always been discreet about it and have never gotten any negative feedback. DD is 23 months old and it's only been in the past few months that I've been more UNcomfortable with it. Extended bfing tends to get a bad wrap. Fortunately she rarely wants to nurse in public anymore.
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

tiff93722 responded:
I will BF where ever I happen to be when DS is hungry but I always use a cover.

sarakraut responded:
I nurse DD wherever and whenever. I nursed DS until he self-weaned at 22.5 months, and I am EBF'ing DD who is almost 6 months old. In all of that time, I can only recall one dirty look. I carry a nursing cover with me, but rarely use it. My kids don't enjoy being covered, and I see no reason to hide what we are doing.

iiicrazycats responded:
I nurse in public, no problem. I almost always will cover the top of my breast if it shows with a burp cloth, but DD doesn't nurse as well with a cover and given that our summer has been so hot, I can't say I blame her.

Now, if we could just get my hubby to be as comfortable with it as I am...
~Jenn (34)~Chris (35)~Simon (6)~Ravyn (2mos)~

CAITNOP responded:
I envy women who are able to do it whenever wherever. Where I live, I don't believe I've ever seen someone breastfeeding in public, so that makes me more self concious about doing it. I did it in the very early days when DS was so little, but he's 5 months now and wiggly and hates to be covered. If we're out, I'll feed him in a dressing room or most always just our minivan. Once in a great while I'll bring along a bottle but rarely.

Jcurzon replied to sarakraut's response:
When my LO was younger, it was easy to nurse him in public, now it's impossible. He's too distractable and he bites me if I try to make him nurse when he's busy sight-seeing. We have to go hide out in the car, even then he is hard to get to focus on nursing, lol

DaleCDean29 responded:
Because my little girl prefers a certain position that requires 2 pillows I have to pump and take a bottle with me for public places.
Dale 30, Bf Chris,29 DD Bianka 7/20/10 Breech baby

Aniras86 responded:
Whenever, wherever. Just today, I was out at a park for a walk and it was time to feed. Just used a light wrap blanket and found a private area off to the side.

I believe with more women seen breastfeeding it will become more publicly accepted.
Sleep is a myth.

ashers_mommy514 replied to Aniras86's response:
agree! i applaud all you mommies who dont feel you need to feed your babies in a bathroom....(i get really sick of hearing that from my unsupportive co-workers, who only think babies should be BF'd in bathroom stalls when away from the home).

jrap1978 replied to ashers_mommy514's response:
you should tell your coworkers to go try having their lunches in a bathroom stall and see how they like it

saywhat789 replied to jrap1978's response:
Yes to this!!! Ugh I get so sick of people acting like breastfeeding is commiting some kind of crime. It is so upsetting to me that I feel like I can't feed my 14 month old because I'm doing something "wrong" by nursing her in public. One of my friends recently got kicked out of an AZ McDonald's for breastfeeding her 6 month old!! It was a huge thing - all over the news. It's so sad that breasts are now sexual objects instead of what they are intended for.

Ingawahkiki responded:
I will BF in public but I cover up. I feel like that's just the decent thing to do. People don't seem to understand that it's not the breastfeeding part that others take issue with. It's the exposure...which is easily covered up. Maybe it's my modesty talking, but I BF, and I get rather offended when I see others that just whip out their breast for the world to see.

It's not hard and there are lots of options for covering (even when it's hot out). There are the blanket-type covers, there are the covers that go over just you and only the nipple and areola will be exposed for the baby to latch...someone above mentioned using a burp cloth to cover over what shows. I've done that. This all takes minimal time and effort and as long as I'm covered nobody around me gets upset, and nobody give me nasty looks. People notice, and sometimes stare...but there is no negativity when covered.

I aslo usually find as discreat a place as possible...

Kate32114 replied to Ingawahkiki's response:
I will also bf in public but I be sure that my body is as covered as it can be and make sure I wear my nursing garments if I think I will not be able to use a cover. I do not want the world to see my breasts as I feel like they belong to me my husband and our 2 month old daughter. I think that public places should make rooms specially designed for the nursing mothers that are comfy and feel safe for us to feed our children. People also should not balk at a nursing mom. I really hate that. We went to Blue Springs for the day once and There was nowhere for me to go so I pulled my blouse up to access my nursing tank and undid the closure and held her and walked around while I nursed. I got some of the strangest looks from people but I was covered. You could not see my body in any way. I think that if there was no such thing as formula than maybe this wouldn't seem to bother so many people. You know?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Laramie, I'm 27 and live in Rochester, NY. I'm happily married to my wonderful husband and I'm a SAHM to our two children. Aust...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.