Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pumping Advice?
tamliz08 posted:
Hi everyone! My son is 4 weeks old, and I am going back to work very soon. I need to start getting some milk stored for when I leave him during the day. I can't figure out when I'm supposed to pump though, when he is with me all day? He seems to eat pretty often still, and I'd hate to pump and then him decide he is hungry and not be able to nurse him. Any advice on where to start?

MizLeah responded:
I don't bf Ionly pump but from what I hear you should feed on one breast and pump the other one. Also if he is sleeping throught the night or waking up less oftenyou can pump when he would normally eat, that is what I did tog et a little freezer stash. You really don't ahve to worry about having a huge freezer stash, you only need to be one day ahead of yourself.(BM is best when used the soonest any way) If he is hungry and your breast are empty then dip in the freezer stash and try to store later or another day. I think it took me around a week to get a full day ahead of myself, maybe a little longer. My daughter eats 3 four oz bags when I am at work and I usually leave the 8 OZ I get from my morning pump. I have a hard time producing so you should be fine GL

cjl0510 responded:
When I was building up my stash, I would nurse my LO.. wait an hour and then pump. Then let him nurse if he got hungry after that because my body would always seem to have a little after that to keep him satisfied until I got more milk in. That and pump right before YOU go to sleep. Good luck!

mckinneyeliz replied to cjl0510's response:
If your having problems try fenugreek or mothers milk tea. ive also heard that regular oatmeal helps i just personally dont like it cuz it tastes gross. i know with my daughter...if i dont have enough in my breast for her and shes hungry...if she sucks long enough suddenly ill get a rush of milk? im thinking around an oz or oz and a half. but i take the fenugreek its pretty good! try that!

iiicrazycats responded:
best time to pump is first thing in the morning. IF you can get the hang of pumping while nursing, great! if not, nurse your son and then pump (both breasts) right away. don't be surprised if you only get a ounce or less the first few times. pumping takes some practice.

as a pp said, you will have enough milk to keep him satisfied b/c the pump never completely empties your breast. in addition, if you pump for 5min after the milk stops, you will signal your body to make more milk.

fenugreek has been good for me if my pumped volume starts to slip. i wouldn't recommend it just yet as your milk supply is still getting established. if you start taking it now, you may end up with clogged ducts which is not fun. try pumping every day, at least once a day, right after a feeding. keep the pumped milk in the fridge and combine several days' worth (after they are all cold) to get one whole feeding for your freezer.

hth and good luck!
~Jenn (34)~Chris (35)~Simon (6)~Ravyn (3mos)~

tamliz08 replied to iiicrazycats's response:
Thanks everyone, that is very helpful!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Michaele. I am married and have three awesome kids. Evan is 7, Savannah is 4, and baby Adeline (Addy) is 3 months. I am new to the forums b...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.