Skip to content
Pumping at work?
kateschuler posted:
My daughter is almost 1 and 1/2 months old and I want to go back to work soon. Do you have rights when It comes to pumping at work or do you have to use break time etc to pump. Also do they have to give you a place to pump?

cjl0510 responded:
Most places are required to have a place for you to pump other than a bathroom. As well as the time to pump, you most likely will have to use break time or lunch time. It depends on the place you work and your supervisor. Hopefully they can make pumping at work a good experience for you! I have been doing it for 9 months, and they have been great so far. I just have to run and pump when there is not much going on for a few minutes. Good luck! Let us know what they say.

iiicrazycats responded:
would call ahead before you plan to go back. call your supervisor and/or human resources office to see what their policies are. in most states, they must provide you with a place to pump (other than a bathroom) and allow you to take the time to do so. now, that's not to say that you won't have to make up the time you take or use paid time off to cover it.

i'm in a laboratory, so in most cases, i can plan my pumping times around the work, which is very convenient.

i'm a State employee, with a great director. he hasn't asked me to use my break time to pump at all. however, it takes me so long to pump (30 min, 3x/day) that i do it anyway. he likened it to the breaks that smokers take...although pointed out that it was far more important.
~Jenn (34)~Chris (35)~Simon (6)~Ravyn (3mos)~

RoxyRaven responded:
I friend from work (who's also breastfeeding now) told me there was a law for breastfeeding women going back to work. My (male) supervisor had no idea about it so she gave him a hard copy of this...

SEC. 4207. REASONABLE BREAK TIME FOR NURSING MOTHERS.
Section 7 of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C. 207) is amended by adding at the end the following:
(1) An employer shall provide-
(A) a reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for 1 year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express the milk; and
( a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk.
(2) An employer shall not be required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time under paragraph (1) for any work time spent for such purpose.
(3) An employer that employs less than 50 employees shall not be subject to the requirements of this subsection, if such requirements
would impose an undue hardship by causing the employer significant difficulty or expense when considered in relation to the size, financial resources, nature, or structure of the employer's business.
(4) Nothing in this subsection shall preempt a State law that provides greater protections to employees than the protections provided
for under this subsection.

Now I use the supervisor's office to pump

RoxyRaven replied to RoxyRaven's response:
Sorry not sure why theres a smilie face in the middle of that sentence lol

eaadamson responded:
the new national healthcare bill covers this. heres the link:
http://www.ncsl.org/documents/health/ppaca-consolidated.pdf
the issue is covered in SEC. 4207.
it basicly says that the employer must provide some place other than a bathroom for pumping and must allow for pumping breaks (within reason) for nursing mothers up to 1 yr after the birth of the child. this applies to all companies with 50 or more employees. you may also want to look into your state laws. they may support you more than the federal law. i know in indiana you are alowed to use paid brakes for pumping, which is not covered in the fed law.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mom of 5 children 4 boys and a brand new daughter. I am struggling with supplimental feedings while breastfeeding but working on getting back...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.