Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need Advice Please!!!
Hopingforsuccess posted:
I know I am jumping the gun, but I am 29 weeks preg and DH and I just got in a huge fight over my wanting to Breastfeed when our baby is born. I am currently on Zoloft 25mg/d and have been on 50mg/d since I was 18. Hubby actually told me tonight that if our child grows up "the R word" (meaning not smart) that it would be ll my fault because I am being selfish in wanting to Breastfeed. This coming from a guy who has done NO research on the subject, whereas I have been researching it for the past couple of months. He thinks that because Zoloft effects my brain, that it must effect the Baby's brain too. Sorry if this sounds like venting, but I need to get some of this out, cuz I am just so upset right now. I am not selfish nor will I be a bad Mom. I just really need some advice and outside opinions on the subject. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Jen

phoenix31674 responded:
This is something that needs to be discussed with your doctor for the three of you. If the doctor thinks the benefits of breastfeeding while taking Zoloft outweigh the risks of the medicine and s/he gives the green light, i can't see that he could argue against it. yes, you've done research on the web, but not everything on the web is accurate, so DH might be reassured if he hears it from a doctor.

I think he's going the better safe than sorry route since there are so many things that aren't known or get turned around. Take for example the vaccine-autism link. That's now been disproved as bad science, but many folks still don't like the idea of what a large number of vaccines may do to a little baby.

Me personally, if I had to take any prescription medicine, I would not breastfeed just based on the better safe than sorry. If my LO should have any sort of delay or show signs of autism, i would blame myself even though there would be no proof the minute amount of drugs passed through milk had any bearing on the malady. i would always wonder if it did. i guess it comes down to how you would handle the guilt if there was something diagnosed. Could you live with your guilt and the guilt your DH heaps on you? Could you survive your marriage falling apart - which might happen with this sort of blame going around. I'm not saying anything will happen. odds are high your LO will be fine, but just what if.

again, i really recommend the two of you talk with your doc about this.

iiicrazycats responded:
hey Jen,
congrats on your pregnancy and your interest in BFing. here's a quote from kellymom.com *only the BEST resource for nursing moms!*

• [a id=Zoloft name=Zoloft> Zoloft is the "best drug choice so far". It has a low, low transfer rate to breastmilk (17-173 ug/liter) in mothers taking up to 150 mg/day. In one excellent study of 11 mother/infant pairs, the zoloft was undetectable in 7 of the 11 breastfeeding infants' serum and minimal in the other infants. In two other studies of one and three mother/infant pairs respectively, zoloft was undetectable in the plasma of all 4 infants. A theoretical concern with Zoloft is that some babies may not gain weight as rapidly or as well when breastfed by moms on Zoloft; so weight gain should be monitored and dosage tweaked as necessary.

• judging from this alone, your baby should be fine. you should, however, be sure to discuss this with your OB and your pediatrician before the baby arrives so that you know what to expect.

on another note, this won't be the first time that you and your DH disagree over the right thing to do for your child(ren). just remember that he cares a lot about your baby--otherwise he wouldn't be fighting so hard to be sure s/he will be ok.

best of luck!
    ~Jenn (34)~Chris (35)~Simon (6)~Ravyn (3mos)~

sarakraut responded:
    I agree to having a sit-down with you, DH, and your OB. Zoloft is a VERY safe medication for nursing Moms. Breastfeeding is an awesome gift for you to give your child, and there is no reason that taking Zoloft should prevent you from nursing.

llaurenashleya responded:
    I just went to my 6 week post partum appointment and was given a prespcription for Zoloft by my doctor who said it was safe for BF.

Guinnessstout replied to llaurenashleya's response:
    I am breastfeeding and taking 50mg of Zoloft. My doctor said that it is one of the safest meds for breastfeeding. It has been studied the most. Both my OB and my GP have agreed that it is the safest. At 25mg, you are on a very, very low dose.

My OB also said that not taking an antidepressant in Mom's with PPD has been shown to be harmful to the infant's development. So it is important that you take care of yourself so that you can take care of your newborn. The first few months with a newborn are difficult (but wonderful!), so you will need all the support that you can get.

keepitsafe replied to iiicrazycats's response:

Hi,

"Really we have not met before. But I have something very important to discuss with you. I have been searching for the real relative of my client who died as a result of cancer for many years now. Thank God I have finally found you. Please I want you to contact me through my private e-mail address so that I will explain everything in details...
    Here is my e-mail :{ thomashubertsadvisors@gmail.com}

I would be waiting to read from you.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,"

Huberts.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Laramie, I'm 27 and live in Rochester, NY. I'm happily married to my wonderful husband and I'm a SAHM to our two children. Aust...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
    Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.