Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vent about work/pumping
MrsL9 posted:
So I went back to work last Tuesday and have been pumping once during the day to keep my supply up. I know I should be doing more seeing as my son is only 9 weeks old and I want to keep pumping until he's 6 months old. But it's already becoming a problem. My co-workers are frustrated every time I leave! But it's only once a day and I am entitled to two 15 minute breaks during the day. It's like they see me as a slacker or something. I ended up pumping in my car adn crying on my lunch break today! I need encouragement! Please help ladies! I want to keep pumping for the next 4 months but I'm breaking down!

kfitz responded:
Did you discuss your plan to pump with your boss? I would think if they were okay with it then you shouldn't worry about it. Try to keep in mind that your son's health is more important than what your co-workers think. When you see them getting preturbed just think about your son. I pump 3 times per day at work to maintain supply, but I am in a different situation as I work with very supportive people and I am not the only one that pumps. I know it makes your decision to pump that much harder, but hang in there. Its all worth it.

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
Don't give up!!! The benefits of BF are so worth it!!!

I don't know why people are so petty and narrow minded. I am sure if they are a smoker, lets say, they take every chance they get and would be angry if you thought they were slacking.

You are doing the right thing. Ignore the co workers, you know that you are not slacking!!

sarakraut responded:
I too pump 3x a day a work, and this is my 2nd child that I have pumped for. I work with ALL men. They are clueless and don't at all get why I have to pump. I do not give them a second thought and simply take my time in order to provide milk to my sweet daughter. Federal Law dictates your right to take time out of your day to express milk for your child. If your co-workers don't like it then too bad, so sad! Stay strong and try not to worry about what others think.

tamliz08 responded:
It's nobody's business but your own. If you are entitled to two 15 min breaks and a lunch, then use those periods to pump, no matter what anyone else has to say about it. If you only pump once all day, you probably won't have enough milk to feed your baby each day while you're gone.

It's so hard in the beginning, but it really does get better. I hate pumping, but now it's just a routine.

jennyd1677 replied to tamliz08's response:
I totally feel you. My daughter is going to be 6 months on the 25th and I went back to work in when she was 3 months. I had to get them to break my 1 hour lunch into 2 30 minute lunches and it was like pulling teeth! She eats 3 times a day while I am at work and I can only pump twice. It was ok in the begining but now that she needs more milk at each feeding I am struggling to keep up! I don't know what to do because I only get those 2 times per day and usually that ends up between 8-10 ounces. Ugh.
Don't worry about others, just take care of your LO. You shouldn't have to let them know what you are doing. The previous post is right about the smokers by the way. I know they take 3 or 4 10-15 minute smoke breaks a day! so annoying. Keep up the good work with BF'ing...it's a struggle but so worth it!!

ntherelng replied to jennyd1677's response:
I am now pumping for my second child and my pattern is the same for both, even though #2 is eating more than #1 did. Pump in the am before work, pump once at work, maybe pump 1X in the afternoon or after work if I can, and then before bed. I also nurse him 2-3 times a day sometimes in the morning if he wakes up before I take him to day care and then right when he gets home, and then before bed.

While at daycare, I send 25 oz. with him. Most times I don't have a problem pumping that much in 3 pumping sessions. I guess with all that said, I pump once a day at work for about 15-20 minutes and I'm at work for 8 hours a day. I could pump more at work if I needed to, but I just have so much work to do I always feel really behind and since this is working, I'll stick to that schedule. It worked for DS1 and is doing fine for DS2.
Renee (37) DH (43) DS1 10/01/08 EBF 9 mos. DS2 06/20/10 6lb. 19 1/2 and so beautiful!

kheyser915 replied to jennyd1677's response:
Have you considered pumping on your way to work? I do this (hands free of course!) about 1/2 of the time. This way, I'm arriving at work "empty" and I can afford to wait until lunch time to go to my car and pump again. I usually pump once more around 3:30 for a total of 2-3 pumping sessions per work day. I do this 4 days / week. It worked for my son (now 3 years) and has worked very well for the past 7 months pumping for my daughter.

I pump mostly to keep up my supply so I can nurse her on the days she is home with me. I have hundreds of ounces of milk in my freezer! She's most likely my last one so I want to savor the moments with her and not rush the weaning process. As much as I hate pumping, I know it's important to keep her nursing well (she won't take a bottle or milk in a sippy cup!! Stubborn little girl).

AlinasMaMacita replied to kheyser915's response:
I agree that it is hard to find time during the day, especially if you have meetings or differing schedules from day-to-day. Talk to your boss about it, and about the benefits of breastfeeding (less sick days, etc). Some states have laws that say that a place of employment must provide you with a facility to pump, so you won't have to go to your car. Check LaLeche League's website for the info.

I started pumping twice/day but it was too much, so I've cut back to once/day and supplement with formula. My daughter does well that way - she is still getting 3/4 of her calories from breastmilk at 6 months. I think this enabled me to continue breastfeeding longer by making my schedule more manageable.

Once your baby starts sleeping longer at night, you can always add a pumping session into your nighttime schedule. Waking up to pump sucks, but I was able to do it right before bed and be ok in the morning. It takes a couple days to get the schedule right, but your body will adjust. Good luck!

eaadamson responded:
does the company you work for have atleast 50 employees (i think thats the low limit)?? if so you have RIGHTS. the new federal helthcare law states that you have the right to pump as much as needed while at work for the first YEAR of the babys life. according to federal law the pumping breaks do not need to be paid breaks but they do have to accomidate you. also the law states that the space dedicated to pumping cannot be a bathroom. some state laws will allow you to pump on your paid breaks 'with in reason'. i would suggest you educate not only your supervisors but also your co workers on your rights. and if your workplace has an HR department, discuss your issues with them.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm married mom of a handsome 4 year old boy named J.R. and a beautiful baby girl Kira, who was born 1/31/11. I'm BF'ing for the first tim...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.