Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
breastfeeding while pregnant??
leahy4 posted:
why do doctors say to stop breastfeeding my 8 month old now that I am pregnant again. What are the pro's and con's of this. If I follow a healthy diet I (and the baby) should be ok ????????????? thanksfor the responces and help

kheyser915 responded:
My doctor told me to stop breast feeding because it causes the uterus to contract while the baby is feeding and you have a let down. My son was 18 or 19 months old and I was weaning him anyway - we nursed until 20 months and then I took a few months off before nursing my newborn.

I belong to a local Breast feeding support group run by a nurse / lactation consultant and we have talked about tandem nursing. The nurse / lactation consultant understands why doctors may frown upon nursing during pregnancy but she doesn't think it's a problem. Personally, if my son was only 8 months old, I would have kept nursing him until he was at least a year old if I could.

Good luck!

sarakraut responded:
Your doctor is giving you some very old and outdated advice. It is completely safe and healthy to continue nursing while you are pregnant. I continued to nurse my son until I was 8 months along with my daughter. He self weaned at that point.

Here is an article to help you out:

http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/articles/bfpregnancy_safety.html

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 36 y/o and I am truly blessed to have 2 beautiful and brilliant girls. My eldest is turning 9 this March and my youngest is 26 m/o. I am a proud ...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.