Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Going back to work and baby will not take bottle!
kgemmell posted:
Hi -
I need help! I have tried literally everything for my almost 3 month old to take a bottle. I go back to work in 3 weeks. As of last week, he was taking the occasional bottle whenever needed or I couldn't be around him, but last week he started to refuse. I have a few bouts of mastitis and my doctor suggested weaning. So I started to take one feeding away at a time to help myself dry up and have him take a bottle with 1/2 formula, 1/2 breastmilk. I can't pump at work really - I am a teacher and it is difficult to find time in the day to do so because I am rarely without students. Anyways, I have tried everything from different nipples to cups to sippy cups to pretty much everything the 2 lactation consultants I have talked to have told me (however they have made me feel so guilty about switching over but this is a personal decision and is needed so I really think that is what is best). If I chose to stay home, I would definitely try to continue to breastfeed however this can't be the case. My baby won't take a bottle from my husband, my mom (who will be the caretaker), my in-laws, etc. I have tried leaving the room, not being there, putting him in a different location to eat, bouncer chair, different positions, nursing positions, different house, everything and he will not take a bottle at all. The minute the bottle touches his lips he screams. I have tried waiting til he was purely hungry, trying when he was happy and go lucky playing on his mat, trying everything. I need help and am stressed about going back to work without my baby needing just me to feed. I am concerned that the minute I get home I will literally sit in my chair and feed until I go to bed. I DO enjoy the intimate time with him but with a house and school work to bring home let alone think laundry, dinner, etc. My dr. said if I did continue to breastfeed this is what would happen - he would go without a lot during the day and cluster feed all night. Because of trying to skip a feeding and having him force down 2 oz. of anything I give him in the bottle, he is now up every 1.5 - 2 hours at night. I am exhausted and need help. I don't want any more guilt trips about weaning and just need help in my baby taking a bottle. Please help! Thank you in advance!

dino44 responded:
First off, please don't feel guilty for weening. You did the best you could for as long as you could, and that's fantastic! My daughter refused bottles when I went back to work, too. She had been taking them without a problem and suddenly decided she hated them. We started using fast flow nipples, and that fixed it. Also, her milk HAD to be almost hot, or she wouldn't drink it. If it was only luke warm, she wouldn't touch it. I swear she could tell as soon as the bottle hit her lips. If the nipple wasn't warm enough, I guess she knew the milk wasn't warm enough. So... if you haven't tried already, heat her milk warmer and try a fast flow nipple. I remember how stressed I was, and I'm sorry you are having to go through that as well. And DON'T feel guilty!!

proud_mommy_wifey responded:
Maybe ur baby just doesn't like the rubber (doesn't smell and feel like Mommy, Daddy, etc.)...my younger sister and I REFUSED to take a bottle or bink EVER, so when my mom stopped bf'ing us (which was, the first time we ever bit her when we had teeth) she just stopped bf'ing us, blended up whatever the rest of the family was eating, and we started eating "baby food" that tasted/smelled like whatever the rest of the family was eating (guess we LOVED it)...of course, that was 26 years ago, and times have changed. With my first 2 babies I was only able to bf for 2 weeks (one is almost 5 years old, the other just turned 3 years old) then for excruciating/unbearable pain reasons I felt the need to start them on formula (which, I felt guilty/crushed enough without the guilt trips/criticism of the medical community)...with this one (baby # 3...will be 23 days old in about 2 hours 21 minutes), bf'ing was going SO well, I was so beyond happy/stoked...just today I had to start supplementing her with formula...something I learned with the first 2 was, nobody knows UR baby better than U (and hubby/wife)...every baby is different...growth charts r ridiculous (as long as ur baby is growing and remaining healthy, who cares how much they weigh or how tall they r for their age)...smile and nod a lot (give the people who think they know ur baby better than u do the satisfaction of thinking they're right, then continue doing whatever is right for U and UR child), this philosophy has helped me a lot over the last (almost) 5 years...that way u don't have to worry about what other people think because they won't give u their own opinion on how ur raising/what ur doing with ur child, and u and ur baby/child will BOTH be much happier (and u don't have to feel more guilty than u already do, by everybody trying to give u their 2 cents about what ur "doing wrong" or whatever else)...VERY best of luck to u...hang in there...take it 1 day at a time, 1 minute at a time...hang in there, everything will be ok!!

kgemmell replied to proud_mommy_wifey's response:
Thank you so much for your help! I am still working on the bottle and finding one that fits. I want to achieve a little success before I go back to work but this has been the battle of a lifetime! My dr. told me to pump to wean and then have only my husband give him the bottle. That would be great if he wasn't at work everyday! Both my husband and I are teachers and he was home last week which was great but now he is back to work - so my mom, which will be my son's daycare, has been attempting the bottle. Still a struggle but we will keep trying! I hope eventually we will achieve this! I am still working on finding the right nipple too. No such luck yet! I have quite the array of bottles though! Thank you for your comments!

shanastash replied to kgemmell's response:
my baby will ONLY use the bottle, tommy tippee. its a silicone nipple. its shape is a little different than other nipples out there. you can get it at BRU. they are a tad expensive, but if it works! you can buy them singularly so that way if it doesn't work...you won't waste alot of money.

have you tried sucking on the nipple yourself? i know it sounds strange and "germy" but sometimes if she doesn't like her binkie, i lick it, that way it smells like "mommy"... you could try that. i mean, i would try ANYTHING...so i am assuming you would to! ...good luck!!! and please don't feel guilty about having to switch. ONLY YOU know what is best for your family and if going back to work is what your family needs, then that is what you need to do. and you are doing it by also trying to use breastmilk! so even better! and if not, you are still feeding your baby so good for you! i think, as long as you are feeding your child, BM or formula, you are being a great mom!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.