Skip to content
Latch on issues!
krazykatt707 posted:
Hey all! Just moved here from the pregnancy boards. My daughter is 3 days old and though this is my second child, its my first breast feeding experience.

When we were in the hospital she was great about latching. Now at home it's awful! She'll get on there but for some reason she'll pull back off. I've made sure she can breathe so thats not it.

I'm really at my wits end and it kills me to listen to her scream. I feel like such a failure b/c I can't get her to nurse very well. I am really committed to doing this. I've pumped some milk and have bottles. I'm getting to the point where I just wanna give her a bottle and see if she does better with that. Or at least give her enough to take the edge of her hunger and calm her down so she can latch. DH is totally opposed to it and insists that she'll end up with nipple confusion if we offer a bottle too soon. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this or what your thoughts were on when to introduce bottles or some tips for getting a better latch. Everything I've read says that you should wait 2 or 3 weeks. I have no idea how I am going to do this for another 2 or 3 weeks!

phoenix31674 responded:
You need to talk with a LC. also, make sure you nurse her in a quiet place. she may be getting distracted with all the new stuff at home. Once you get her fed, do try to feed her before she is at the crying point. Most babies will root around when they first start feeling hungry. Once they cry they are starving.

Instead of a bottle, you can use a small syringe. I was given one in the hospital tapered to fit around a finger. you would give her the finger to suck on and slowly empty the syringe into her mouth. This was because my milk hadn't come in after 5 days and we needed to supplement a little.

I don't know about nipple confusion. With DD they gave her a paci in the hospital and she still nursed fine, but that is a little different from a bottle. If you do end up going the bottle route, you should really do your best to not be the one giving it to her so she continues to associate you with the breast for food and not a bottle, but babies can be switched back to the breast with work.

Good luck.

krazykatt707 replied to phoenix31674's response:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try using a nipple shield and see if that helps her. I think i may have an overactive letdown which would explain why she latches on but then pulls off. I also found out that she has jaundice. She's on photo-therapy now for it and the nurse was telling me that jaundice can make them too sleepy to latch on and stay on. I decided to have dad give her bottles of pumped breastmilk. Hopefully once we get her jaundice cleared up, we can get back on track with breastfeeding.
Rachel(26),Scott(27),Jon Roland(4),Kira Elizabeth(1/31/11)

phoenix31674 replied to krazykatt707's response:
If you have overactive letdown, you can pump to get letdown to happen first then latch her back on. The hindmilk is the richest milk and most important to get her to feel full. The nurse is right about jaundice, too. This will also help if she's gassy since too much foremilk can cause excessive gas which might make feeding difficult.

Even now my son is known to pull off during let down and spray milk everywhere from time to time and he's 4 months.

Wendy12345678 responded:
My first two kids where given bottles in the hospital by the nurses, and there was never an issue with nipple confusion. After some early bottles we continued on to breastfeed for the full year. Don't feel bad, just look for information and help if you need it, but know its the hardest in the very begining, but it gets way easier. My baby's 4 weeks old and sometimes I forget that I'm feeding him!

shanastash responded:
our baby would get too hungry and so she wouldn't latch on. she would cry and scream when i would try to offer her the breast. so we had to do the "switch-a-roo" with the bottle and boob. we would give her about a half an ounce to an ounce with the bottle and then give her the boob as soon as we pulled the bottle out of her mouth.
also, even if she wouldn't be hungry, sometimes we put her to the boob as "practice" so SHE would understand that the boob is a good thing and milk comes out of it too and not just the bottle.

and your baby is now only, what, 8 days old now? so she should be learning pretty soon that your boob is her new best friend! sometimes it doesn't "click" with them and they have to do it awhile to catch on that its a good thing.

but also, you wanna look for her hungry cues, licking her lips, sticking her tongue out, eating her hand... i know its very hard to see them when she is sleeping at night, but throughout the day, she will do them. sometimes only ONCE before she'll start to scream, but make sure you look at the time and go by that but subtract about 15 mins and then offer your boob then. so if she eats at 100p and then starts to scream at 300p, offer your boob at 2:45p. see how that does.

anyway, good luck and don't give up!!! it will click and you will laugh about how much you had a problem and you will be like, psh, what were we stressing about?! really, it will happen!

HaveFaith1224 responded:
For me, my milk didn't come in fast enough at the hospital and my son was starving, so we gave him a bottle at night and I continued that for about a week when we got home. I didn't want my son to be starving, but I didn't want to give up on BFing. We didn't have any problem with nipple confusion (we use a pacifier too). My son still goes back and forth between breast and bottle because I do pump as well. I wouldn't wait. If your little one is screaming she's probably hungry. You may need to supplement. We're at 5 weeks old now and my son has been on just breastmilk for the past 3-4 weeks and he's doing great. Good luck!

indymom82 replied to krazykatt707's response:
I know you have a very new baby, and they always say "never give bottles for the first few weeks", but I had to pump and feed with my first from when he was 1 week old until 3 weeks because of major nipple trauma. Once my nipples healed I got the urge to breastfeed directly and he latched right back on like he'd been doing it forever! I ended up using a nipple shield as well because they started getting damaged again once I started BFing, but they were a HUGE help, and it saved breastfeeding for us! There are also cases for the shields now called Shield Shells that are sold online (www.shieldshell.com ) which I love because the nipple shields can be really hard to find (especially in the dark) and keep clean, these are great for that. I have one for my diaper bag and a couple around the house so I'm never without one.

GL!

MRSKuhns responded:
I have a 2 month old and had the same problems with him latching on...I think it was because I was so nervous and when he got upset I didn't have the patience to keep trying. It was emotional for me, I had to find support so i called a mom who has five kids and breast fed them all. She came over and just watch me do it, and helped a little when we were having latch trouble...that helped A LOT...I seriously felt like quiting every day for the first two weeks but she helped me through and I love breastfeeding now!

And as far as a bottle is concerned it wont hurt to do it every now and then. I had to go back to the hospital the day after we got home with the baby and only got to breast feed him when his grandparents brought him to the hospital, the rest of the time he had bottles of similac until I came home. He still preferred breastfeeding. And to this day we do bottle and breast every day, its really up to you .

I encourage you to keep going with the breast feeding just tweek it to fit you and your daughter. You are doing great and giving her the love she needs

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.