Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Help! got the flu and Breastfeeding
    dana77055 posted:
    Hi all,
    My sister has a 3 month old, is breastfeeding and on a long trip (moving across the country), hauling a 20 ft U-haul and has all the symptoms of the there anything over the counter she can take?
    Wendy12345678 responded:
    LOL, I got a cold, and asked my husband to go to the pharmacy and ask what I can take for it, so if their open and I find out I'll let you know!
    dana77055 replied to Wendy12345678's response:
    thanks, she and I appreciate the quick reply
    Wendy12345678 replied to dana77055's response:
    Well the pharmasist said to use claritin, but I chose tylenol cold instead. Not sure how the allergy medication is good for it, which is why I chose tylenol (that and price). So good luck! I hope she makes it LOL!
    HaveFaith1224 responded:
    I just went to the doctor a few days ago because DS and I were congested and I had a sore throat (worried about strep, which I don't have thankfully!). The doc said that over the counter meds can decrease milk supply, so to take them only when absolutely necessary. He said if I needed to that I could take tylenol or liquid robitussin and take a lower dosage just to take the edge off. With the liquid version you can control the dosage. Hope that helps and hope your sis feels better soon!
    HaveFaith1224 responded:
    Also- he said to use steam, hot liquids (tea, soups, etc.) and a Netti-pot or saline spray for the nose. Lots of vitamin C too!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I'm a Forensic Drug Chemist, back to working (and pumping!) full time. Married to my high school sweetheart, Chris since 1998. We've been toge...More

    Helpful Tips

    New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
    Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 18 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.