Help! got the flu and Breastfeeding
dana77055 posted:
Hi all,
My sister has a 3 month old, is breastfeeding and on a long trip (moving across the country), hauling a 20 ft U-haul and has all the symptoms of the Flu..is there anything over the counter she can take?

Wendy12345678 responded:
LOL, I got a cold, and asked my husband to go to the pharmacy and ask what I can take for it, so if their open and I find out I'll let you know!

dana77055 replied to Wendy12345678's response:
thanks, she and I appreciate the quick reply

Wendy12345678 replied to dana77055's response:
Well the pharmasist said to use claritin, but I chose tylenol cold instead. Not sure how the allergy medication is good for it, which is why I chose tylenol (that and price). So good luck! I hope she makes it LOL!

HaveFaith1224 responded:
I just went to the doctor a few days ago because DS and I were congested and I had a sore throat (worried about strep, which I don't have thankfully!). The doc said that over the counter meds can decrease milk supply, so to take them only when absolutely necessary. He said if I needed to that I could take tylenol or liquid robitussin and take a lower dosage just to take the edge off. With the liquid version you can control the dosage. Hope that helps and hope your sis feels better soon!

HaveFaith1224 responded:
Also- he said to use steam, hot liquids (tea, soups, etc.) and a Netti-pot or saline spray for the nose. Lots of vitamin C too!