Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Increasing your milk supply
krazykatt707 posted:
Okay I know I posted something similar about this a few days ago but I need more advice.

I have to pump and dump for now and can't resume breast feeding until I am off my pain meds. (for a bad shoulder) But I plan on BF'ing after that.

I bought some fenugreek capsules (610 mg), I also have a double electric breast pump. Prior to being on these meds I could get 4-10 oz in a single session. Now I'm lucky to get 3.

So what I need to know is how much of the fenugreek should I be taking a day, how much water should I drinking and how often should I be pumping?

I've read that you should take 2-4 capsules a day and pump for 15 min every 1-2 hrs, even if you don't see any milk coming out. Is that true? I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so how they increased their supply. DD is 3 weeks old and can take 4 oz at once and I'm afraid that once I get back to BF I won't be to keep up. TIA
Rachel(26),Scott(27),Jon Roland(4),Kira Elizabeth(1/31/11)

ShanunC responded:
Ive never taken the fenegreek but I wouldnt pump anymore than every 3-4 hours.. 15-20 minutes at a time.. as for water.. seriously.. just keep it going in you at all times if you can.. you know those ice chip holder things they have at the hospital with the lids??? well I snagged a bunch and I use those for my water.. I go through about 5-6 a day.. probably 30-40ozs of water can fit in it..
like I said I dunno about the fenegreek although Ive heard good things about it..
best of luck..

MNMommy3 responded:
I was taking the Mother's Love Milk Plus, I think it was called. It did help to keep my supply up. I am pumping and feeding by bottle and then nursing at night. DD is 7 weeks old and taking 4 oz. every 2-4 hours right now, and I'm only getting about 3 oz. every 2-3 hours. I just pumped after 8 hours of no pumping and got 7 oz. We had to supplement with formula for a day so I could catch up, and now have five 4 oz. bags in the freezer, plus the 7 oz. in the fridge. I am considering getting back on the Mother's Love or fenugreek or something because I like to have a big stash. I try to pump every 2-3 hours to let my body know to increase my supply but haven't really seen an increase yet. Sorry I didn't have better advice. I don't know how some women can pump 6-8 oz. in one sitting.

krazykatt707 replied to MNMommy3's response:
I was one of those women! I could get 10 oz in one sitting! I was like a freaking dairy cow! I'd have 25 oz on hand in the fridge but then getting sick and getting stressed screwed everything up. I think the pumping more often and the fenugreek are starting to help, I've noticed i've gone from barely 2 oz to 3 1/2 oz a session within a few days. So we'll see. I'm determined to continue breastfeeding,
Rachel(26),Scott(27),Jon Roland(4),Kira Elizabeth(1/31/11)

MNMommy3 replied to krazykatt707's response:
Maybe I'll have to try just the fenugreek and see if that helps. I like to have 2 drinks every Saturday afternoon, just MY time to relax after dealing with 3 kids all week, working from home and all the weekly household duties, and so I like to have a supply on hand. I've also heard about a product called hops.. not sure what it is or where to find it, but I read something about how it's supposed to increase supply too. Good luck to you!!

shanastash responded:
have you gone to a support group??? i go to one every now and again when i can actually go. its at my local hospital and they will let you weigh the baby before and after you feed her (when you can feed her again after the drugs are out of your system) and then you find out how much she actually takes in. my 14 week old baby is still only taking 2.5 ounces from me at a feeding.

its nice to go there though because you can get answers to your questions AND talk to other moms who might be having your dilema too, or the LC might have had a mom in your type of situation too.

also, what makes you think you can't feed her the milk that you are throwing out? did an actual doctor tell you that or does it just say it on the bottle of meds? i only ask because i freaked out when my doc gave me a type of antibiotic when i was having ooz come out of my c-section insition and the meds said to not BF younger than a 3 month old AND when i was on percaset (spelled that wrong) from having her, it also said not to BF because it can transfer to the baby...i was mad when i read that but the doctorS all said that it was fine. so ask your doc! and also the ped doc!

anyway, good luck!!!

ShanunC replied to krazykatt707's response:
how often do you take the fenegreek and how much.. I was one of those women 2.. im only 2 weeks in and was getting 8-10 ozs a sitting.. then I messed up on my pumping schedule one day and barely drank any fluids the next cuz I just had so much going on.. now Im getting myabe 4 to 6 ozs a sitting which isnt bad but my supply is like 2 bottles worth iin the fridge and I HATE THAT.. ive been drinking water and fluids like its going out of style for 2 days and have noticed NOTHING.. harder to get it back when your just pumping..
n e info on the fenegreek would be awsome..
I messed up like this with DD but I was a few months in.. not just starting out.. so things were easier to get back..
glad things are getting back up for you

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.