Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Negativity Regarding Breastfeeding
Emma_WebMD_Staff posted:
We have all seen or heard the stories where women were asked to nurse their child in the bathroom, rather than in public. Or mothers were asked to leave a restaurant or stop nursing their child. Have you come up against negativity? How did you deal with it? Was there anyone against you nursing your child from the beginning?

What tips would you give other mothers to combat the negativity that some breastfeeding mom's get?

QueenOfStarWars responded:
My own sister is the worst. She even has a 16yr old. When she had her son, I asked her if she planned on bottle or breast feeding. My mother said my sister would NOT be breast feeding and that it was disgusting. Well, the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I am nursing #2 now. My sister calls it "monkey milk" and reminds me that it's 2011 and there is NO REASON to breast feed a baby.

When she came for a visit, I avoided nursing in front of her because I know she is uncomfortable. I tell her it's the "IN" thing to do now and give her a big smile.

I have to admit that before I had kids, I was VERY uncomfortable with being around someone nursing. I stayed with my brother and his family for a few weeks and he warned me that "It's National Geographic here - so get used to it." I'm glad they were blunt and kept to their guns. That helped me get over my own issues about it.

MartinaWilliams responded:
I remember Bf and I went to a fancy dinner was DD was around a month old. I decided to go into the bathroom to nurse her, I did bring a blanket to throw over my shoulder to hide my boobs. Well there was a little bench and I sat on it and fed her. An older lady came into the bathroom and started staring at me with disgust. So i said to her "whats your problem? Im sure my boob isnt exposed, so whats ur problems?" She said "nothing" but I could clearly see her dissonance. So i said "honey, at ur age im sure they didnt have great formula back then so im sure you were sucking on ur moms titts, there is no reason for you to have that expression on ur face cause my boobs arent exposed." She left and I had a smile on my face
I hate it when you get the nasty stares for doing something thats extremely beneficial to the baby and myself. In my home, no one comes in and expect me to throw a towel over my shoulder. I tell everyone, call before you come over cause if you are the type who doesnt want to see my boob then ill let you know when im feeding and you can come afterward. Where i live its completely natural to whip out a boobs to feed the baby but i wont do that in public, so i thought people here were desensitized by now, but i guess not.
Me(20), Bf(48) and DD, Lilja born Nov.30.10 :)

phoenix31674 responded:
I've received amazing support from both MIL and mom - neither of whom breastfed. From SIL, too. She tried to breastfeed her first, but the backwater hospital where her son was born did not have a lactation consultant, so she never got the assistance she needed.

DH doesn't mind unless we're in public. I don't mind because I'm discreet, but I got a coverup to help him feel better. Here in Europe, no one thinks twice about it and DS is pretty good about feeding in the hubbub. DD was okay feeding in public, too.

Honestly, I've never gotten any negativity, though i generally don't feed in public and when I do find someplace quiet and out of the way as much as possible. We'll see in a month or so when we're at Disneyland Paris how it goes. I suspect no one will care.

lucy4219 responded:
First, i have been asked to leave a resturant for breastfeeding. you can google "olive garden breastfeeding" for the story. second, i recently attened (on Dec. 28th 2011) the Target nurse-in and nursed my second child there without a cover.
my tip for nursing mother would be just to not worry about what other people think. nurse your baby wherever you are without aplogy. your baby is more important than other people's "morals". also know that you don't have to use a cover if you don't want to. the point of a nursing cover is to make the mother feel more comfortable; so nurse however you feel most comfortable. breasts are not just for men to gawk at. breasts are designed to feed babies (i like to say show me where it says "and Mary said, 'Joe did we pack the Similac?'"). too bad for other people if they don't know that. until i can have all people who offend me reomoved from any establishment, i shouldn't be removed for nursing offends someone. i would advise mothers to know the law about nursing in public in your state. in most states nursing in public is legally allowed and so legally you can not be asked to leave no matter if people are offened.
also, NEVER nurse in the bathroom! just don't. it's not clean. read up on what happen when a toliet is flushed if you still think it's a good idea. do you really want your baby breathing that for 20 minutes?
remember that nursing is the best thing for you and your baby. it is just as healthy in a room full of people as it is at home. listen to your body and your baby. and enjoy the look in your baby's eyes when he or she is nursing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mom of 5 children 4 boys and a brand new daughter. I am struggling with supplimental feedings while breastfeeding but working on getting back...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.