Skip to content
BF in front of DS?
sdadkin posted:
I am currently 34 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first son is 20 months old. I breastfed him, but only exclusively for 3 months and then strictly formula by the time he was 6 months old (I was never really able to make enough milk for him). I was wondering if you guys bf in front of your younger children? I guess I am a little self conscious about it. He is getting to the age where he is very courious and watches every single thing I do. I just don't know if I feel comfortable doing it in front of him? Anyone else have this same issue?

phoenix31674 responded:
My DD was 3.5 when DS was born. I breastfeed in front of her. She hasn't really shown that much interest in it. Early on she would ask me about what brother was doing and from time to time would let her stuffed Mickey 'eat', but that didn't last long.

cyavca05 responded:
My DD is 30 months old and my DS is 10 weeks old, I exclusively feed him breast milk, breasfeed sometimes and more often pump and feed him with a bottle. I have no problem with my little girs watching me either breastfeed or pump, IMO this is a very natural thing to do and I would like for her to see it that way, not sure this is all correct but is the way i think. good luck!!

roni090909 responded:
Of course. There really is no way around this. My DS is 24 months. Most of the time he could careless.

Wendy12345678 responded:
Here's my theory LOL. If you avoid him when your breastfeeding him you will be avoiding him most of the time in the beggining. I had the same question about my 9 year old son. I talked to him about it, and figure I'd rather have him understanding and accepting, so in the future he doesn't judge. I even feel conciouse nursing under a blanket in public, but I can't avoid my other 2 that much, and don't want them to think its weird. The more casual you act, the less he'll think of it probably.

ktaylor11 responded:
I have an almost 3 year old and just found out I am expecting. I actuallybwondered the same thing. My DD is always wanting to see m nipples so my thought dare when she sees me breastfeeding she will be interesting in knowing what I am doing. I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes.

kay_kay75 replied to ktaylor11's response:
I only have one little one right now but plan when I have #2 to be very open about it, it is natural. The way I feel about it is if they see me doing it and are comforatble with it then why not do it in front of them. They need to know that breasts are not just sexual but they have a real purpose.

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
in general children are curious. If you try to hid something, they are more curious. Wouldn't you be? At less than 2 your ds will move on very quickly to toys, it won't be interesting enough to him. Be honest. Children don't need lots of details. You could say "mommy is giving the baby some milk. When you were a baby I gave you milk too." He will probably say nothing or "ok" and move on.

Good luck

lucy4219 responded:
Don't worry about it. Just feed the baby. Some kids are still nursing themselves at 20 months. I don't think nursing in front of older children is a big deal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

First time mom just trying to figure it all out.. Have a beautiful son Sean born 5~3~2012

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.