Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pumping and Breast feeding supply
cyavca05 posted:
How much milk do you get at each pump and what is the frequency of your pumping/breastfeeding??

I usually breastfeed 2 times a day and pump 3-5 times, I get from 6-8oz everytime, if I go 8 hrs with out pumping I might get 10oz so I average 30oz a day, is this too little or normal?

Sarahai responded:
How many hours do you go in between breastfeeding/pumping and how old is the baby?

Sarahai replied to Sarahai's response:
Sorry, I missed that first part. I was pumping exclusively for the first 5 months. I pumped every 2-4 hours and probably ended up with an ounce for every hour it had been since the last pumping session. So probably around 24 oz. I think 30 oz is good. Is that just from pumping, or are you factoring in the times you're nursing as well?

cyavca05 replied to Sarahai's response:
Hi Sarahi, that would be just from pumping, but like i said i would probably do 2 feedings a day and everything else would be pumping. That's why I have get a little tired of pumping and have been doing it not as often. I wasnt nursing as much because DS would go to sleep and I could do nothing to wake him up, plus my mom helps me a lot and the bottle helps with that. I plan on breastfeed and pump for a year so I want to make sure my milk supply is not decreasing. Not sure if I need to start pumping more often

Sarahai replied to cyavca05's response:
How old is the baby?

cyavca05 replied to Sarahai's response:
baby is 10 weeks old.

Sarahai replied to cyavca05's response:
I would say you have a pretty good supply, even if it was just 30 oz. I wouldn't worry about your supply decreasing, as long as you're pumping or nursing often. It probably isn't a good idea to go 8 hrs without pumping, but if you're nursing inbetween I don't think it's a problem. If you're away from the baby you might want to try pumping while you're away (if you're not already doing that). If you're at home I would try to nurse more often than pumping and just nurse the baby when he's hungry. I think it's okay at this point if he sleeps for 3 or 4 hrs at at time without nursing. kellymom.com is a good resource for breastfeeding info.

ButterflyBaby1107 responded:
If you want to keep your milk supply up, you should not be waiting 8 hours to pump (unless you are actually sleeping during those 8 hours and if so consider yourself lucky!) You need to do your pumping on the same schedule that you feed your baby in order to keep your supply up.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Christy, and I am 24 years old. I have a wonderful handsome husband who is 28 - and two darling little boys!! My first son is 2 years old, ...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.