Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Everything Breastfeeding
An_188536 posted:
Hi I am pregnant with my second child and due to the high costs of formula and I have decided to try breastfeeding for second child. I know that I would like to mainly pump and feed from a bottle. I have one problem, I do not know a thing about breastfeeding. My questions for all of you are...
What books helped you the most?
Which pump (electric) would you recommend?
And any other tips/advice you could give me.

Thank you very much!

cyavca05 responded:
Best advice i can give you is take the breastfeeding class, i took it when preganat with my first and it was very very helpful.
Based on my experience, best pump, definetly a Medela pump is the best in the market, make sure you buy a double electric pump.
Tips, do not get discurage, if you are not getting much milk at first or if your nipples are soar, keep on pumping, drink lots of water and you will see the results. I get around 30oz a milk every day just from pumping.

i wish you the best!!

ButterflyBaby1107 responded:
Congratulations on deciding to breastfeed! I breastfed my daughter. The best advice that I can give you is to set your mind to it and to be patient. Breastfeeding takes determination. In the beginning it will take alot of time and you need to be patient. Let the baby eat for as long as it takes and as often as they are hungry. With my newborn it was about every 3 hours. It is okay to pump, but I found that just feeding the baby naturally is easier and faster. I pumped when I was at work, but when I was home I fed the baby from the breast. It is nice to be able to pump a bottle every once in awhile for daddy to feed and bond with baby. If you are going to invest in a pump, get a good one. They may seem expensive, but if you add up the cost of formula, the breast pumps are reasonable--and if you look into it your insurance might even help pay part of the expense. I have the medela pump in style, and it worked great and I will be able to use it again with my second baby.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 20 year old mother of two. My daughter is 3 my son is 8 weeks.I love my children and would do anything for them.

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.