Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
cluster feedings
heavensmilingdown posted:
Hello Everyone,
My name is Lisa. I had my daughter alittle over two weeks ago. And since the day of her birth, she has been cluster feeding. I feel like not one minute goes by and she is on the breast. I want to pump to start a supply for when I go back to work. But, when I do pump I am getting maybe 1 ounce. She is my second child. I also breastfed my first daughter. These are two different babies. My first I did not have a problem with. I am starting to get some pain in my right breast. I never had that before. I have nipple pain when I pump and then it hurts to nurse her after that. I am afraid she is not getting enough. I am starting to get flustered because lack of sleep. She doesnt sleep that well. I feel like giving up but i dont want to. i am trying to break her habit of sleeping in my arms and on my chest. When I lay her down she wakes and thinks she has to eat. Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks

Sigma3rc74 responded:
My LO is two weeks today & goes through spurts of cluster feeding. She did it a lot the first week & I wasn't sure I could keep the BF up. I didn't pump much that first week because I was sore & wasn't getting more than about 1.5 - 2 oz.
I ended up giving her a bottle (what I had pumped or formula) a few times to give me a break.
Now, she's cluster feeding less, my supply is up so I can pump more & the soreness is a lot better. I've used a lot of lanolin & the warm/cold packs & that has helped a lot.
Maybe suppliment with a little formula at night to give you a little break for a few days? That might allow you to pump with less soreness & allow your supply to increase.
Hang in there!

Jhawkchick responded:
Are there any lactation centers near you? Maybe at the hospital where you delivered or at your pediatrician's office? I was able have my LO weighed before and after feeding to see how much she was getting. It helped a lot because there is no way to know otherwise. I understand having sore breasts after pumping and it hurting to nurse. I have been having the same issues as well. Also, I'm not making as much milk as I should and have had to supplement with formula. Mainly at night..and yes, as PP said, it does give you a little break to get some sleep. I really didn't want to introduce a bottle or supplement and I was feeling really bad about it for a bit, but some breastmilk is better than none. Also, you have to be able to rest and take care of yourself if you want to take care of your LO for the long haul. Good luck and keep it up! It'll be okay.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm married mom of a handsome 4 year old boy named J.R. and a beautiful baby girl Kira, who was born 1/31/11. I'm BF'ing for the first tim...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.