Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breastfeeding surprises
ButterflyBaby1107 posted:
What did you learn about breastfeeding that no one told you or surprised you?

1. I did not know that milk would come shooting out! One night I accidentally squirted my husband in the face while I was trying to get my daughter latched on! I surprised him and me!
2. I did not imagine sitting with ice packs in my bra because when my milk came in my breasts were so hot, hurting, and getting engorged.
3. Even though I knew I was providing food for my baby and that it was saving me money--I was still embarrassed to have to take time out at work to go pump.
4. I was amazed that my body could provide the food for my baby-and that I had the patience and strength to feed my baby every 3 -4 hours. It is amazing what us women can do!

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
I agree, it is amazing!

I didn't realize how time consuming it was going to be, especially when my DD was cluster feeding. I did nothing else for hours.

I also didn't realize how possessive my lo would become of my breasts. At 3 months she was moving the nipple to her mouth unaided. She holds it and sleeps and she reaches down my shirt anytime. Its actually sweet and humorous.

I'm also surprised how unconcerned I've become w others looks and opinions.

I'm so glad I chose to bf. I can't imagine anything better.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.