Skip to content
feeding and pumping schedule
Jhawkchick posted:
Okay, I've never been the best with time management but I'm not totally helpless. However, when it comes to finding time to breastfeed, pump, and attend the other things in life like dishes, showering, finding time for a little excercise, eating, etc... how do you all manage to do it all and keep up with a feeding and pumping schedule and still find time to get some sleep? Any suggestions you have--I'm all ears. Thanks!!!

Sigma3rc74 responded:
Jhawk - I know what you mean! I'm not the best at pumping on a regular schedule and I'll probably be sorry later when I go back to work. I was pumping at 3am when DD would wake and need to be nursed. I'd nurse her on one side, get her back to sleep and then pump the other. In the last week, I've been so stinking tired that I've pulled her in bed with me, nursed her while 1/2 asleep and have foregone the pumping.
I think the secret is to do what you can when they nap - whether that's pumping (I have my ipod and a book next to the pump for a little break while pumping), napping yourself or having a cup of tea or other break.
hang in there!

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
I never have been too consistent w pumping and dont need it on a regular basis, but if I do need it for a sitter or something, I usually pump immediately after the last feeding before I go to bed. This is really the only time I can find.

Good luck keep trying. My DD is six months now and the sleep deprivation does get better. She's not sleeping through the night yet so maybe I'm just adjusted, but it seems better.

jel0267 responded:
With my first baby I went back to work at 8 weeks, and my boyfriend did a lot of the work, like dishes, cleaning, washing pump parts and bottles, putting the milk in baggies for the freezer. Most of the time he also watches the kids while I shower, exercise, and eat. If he is not there then I do various things, like shower while the kids are napping, or take them in the bathroom with me. I cook and eat while they play on the floor, or I put the baby in the ergo baby carrier while I cook and clean. I am still on maternity leave, and I just started pumping 1 (sometimes 2 if I feel like it) time a day, so it doesnt take more than 15 minutes. If I rinse off all the pump parts/bottles and put the milk in the freezer right away it takes me about 15 minutes for one pumping session. I make sure the pump parts are always ready to use and that really helps. When I go back to work I do not plan on pumping while I am at home, I am only going to pump while I am at work.

Jhawkchick responded:
Thanks for the input ladies. I guess I assumed to be effective I needed to pump 3-4 times per day and I was getting down on myself because that just never happened. I guess I just need to learn to be more flexible. After beign diagnosed with ADD about 12 years ago I try to keep a consistent schedule--it's the only way I can get anythig done. But I've been off my meds since we started TTC so it's been a real struggle for the past year, but I've managed. The challenge now is knowing that if I've been up 3 times for feeding the night before and I'm just dog tired, it's okay to rest when my LO is sleeping...but also knowing some days I will have more energy and will be able to do more around the house. Just because I start my day with a "to do" list doesn't mean I'm failing if I can't cross those items off the list. Anyway, today is a good day and I actually had time to drop a line to say thanks to all of you! Now I'm off to fold clothes. TTYL.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Laramie, I'm 27 and live in Rochester, NY. I'm happily married to my wonderful husband and I'm a SAHM to our two children. Aust...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.