Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New here - Bleeding Nipples Question
Starla_94 posted:
Hi my name is Christina I just gave birth to my second son saturday and we are exclusivly breastfeeding.. I didn't get this chance with my first son so this is all new and challenging for me but its good for mommy and baby..

My son latched wrong one day and even thou he wasn't on for long he drew blood.. wheni pump it doesn't bother me but if he feeds from it he breaks the scab and drinks blood.. Enough one night that it made him throw up .. and i didn't even know I was bleeding till he threw upand then i checked my bra and saw the blood on my pad

whats best to help this to heal quickly? I've been using a Breast SHield over to help and mainly pumping from it.. and feeding with the other side.. my other side however is flat and inverted so i have to use the shield for him to latch.

cutenshort13 responded:
Have you tried lanolin on your nipples? I had a really rough start to bf and almost quit the first week. I had to pump and bottle feed for about 4 weeks before LO and I could figure out how to get her latched correctly without causing pain. I had such sore nipples for the first 2 weeks that I cried every time I nursed her! I am glad that I stuck it out. She only gets a bottle while I am at work or somewhere I can't nurse her.

Starla_94 replied to cutenshort13's response:
yea lanolin and the medela version of it.. which i think i like better..

I bought some Brest Shells to use after pumping they are hard plastic with airholes and hold the bra away from the skin to let them air out it even has an attachment for a flat nipped to help draw it out can't wear them all the time but those seemed to help[.. I'vebeen feeding him from the bleeding nipple the last couple of days without the shield still hurts but isn't bleeding...

cutenshort13 replied to Starla_94's response:
That's good. I used the gel pads. They were really nice because they were cool on my nipple after I nursed and made it feel so much better! You just have to wash the lanolin off before you can use them.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 36 y/o and I am truly blessed to have 2 beautiful and brilliant girls. My eldest is turning 9 this March and my youngest is 26 m/o. I am a proud ...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.