Breast Pumps
An_188537 posted:
Hi I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has Medicaid and if medicaid covered all or some costs of the breast pump. I read somewhere where Medicaid and WIC gave mothers a breast pump if they chose to breastfeed. I am pregnant with my second and would like to breastfeed this baby due to the high costs of formula. But there is no way I can out right buy a Medela pump, which is what everyone has recommended. I know the costs is far less than formula in the long run, but I can't afford to spend 2-400 dollars for a pump, especially if I do not know how well my baby will take to breast milk or breastfeeding in general.

kay_kay75 responded:
Have you checked your local www.craigslist.org ? That is where I found my pump, I just ordered new flexible parts for it, I got a $220 pump for $60, I have the Avent Duo, and I love it, I would definatly suggest a double pump, it makes it much quicker in the long run.

Personally breastfeeding was not a question for me, it was the right thing, now that is not for everyone but the sooner the baby latches on the easier it will be. I love the closeness my DD and I have because of it.

Good luck to you!!!!

Guinnessstout responded:
I don't know about Medicaid or WIC. My health insurance did pay for my pump which was nice. If you do buy a second hand pump, definately get new tubing and accessories. You may want to stick with an Ameda pump. The medela pumps are open so they can get contaminated. The Ameda pumps are closed so they cannot.

Good luck!
Amanda. Mommy to my sweet pea born 8/9/10. Breastfeeding and completely dairy and soy free due to allergies in Mom and Baby.

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
I think you should just call your case worker or the number on your Medicaid insurance card. I had to get Medicaid bc my husband lost his job. I wanted an iud. I called they said yes and I got it free. Just remember if you only got approved bc you were pregnant, that was me, your coverage is only 3 months post. You have to act quickly bc they work slowly.

Also if you get a free or used pump as pp suggested, you will be prepared and more likely to try to bf. My lo is 7 months now. The first few weeks were hard and their were times when I was so exhausted, but I pushed through bc it was what I really wanted and knew it was the best option.

I also found a Pediatrician w a lactation consultant on staff. A huge help!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 36 y/o and I am truly blessed to have 2 beautiful and brilliant girls. My eldest is turning 9 this March and my youngest is 26 m/o. I am a proud ...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.