Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How often to pump?
sdadkin posted:
I'm sure you have been asked this before... but how often should I be pumping? My son is almost 2 weeks old and I am taking a taking a 12 week leave (so 10 weeks left). So far I have been pumping in the morning after he eats and then sometimes after his last feeding before I go to bed. But sometimes I am too tired to pump at night. I fear that I'm not doing enough. I will be working 7-4 so he will be in daycare from 6:30-4:30. I don't know how often I will be able to pump at work. I get an hour lunch and two 15 min breaks.

With my first son I was only able to breastfeed for around 3 months because my milk dried up. I think part of that was because I didn't pump enough and also because he was in the NICU for 6 days and my milk never caught up to him. I don't want to go through that again. I'm not sure how long I want to breastfeed for, but at least 6 months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

amblah04 responded:
I am a working breastfeeding mother, my baby is 5months 3 weeks old and I unfortunately had to come back to work when she was just 6 weeks old because I had to be out on bedrest before my delivery.

Any how I also get two 15 mintue breaks and a 1 hour lunch. I however have my own office so I am able to work while I pump. I pump 3 times a day while I am at work, and 5 total. I wake up in the morning and pump-if she is hungry before we leave the house she gets a bottle, I pump about 4 hours later around 10am, around 1pm, and again around 4pm, then I pump for the last time before I got to bed or after I get her and my older son down for bed. This has worked well for me so far. I suggest, to keep your supply up so yo are able to produce milk for at least the first 6 months, pumping every 3-4 hours when possible. Hope this helps!

kay_kay75 responded:
you also want to check the laws in your state, in MO they are required to accomidate you on more time to pump and a place to pump based on the size of your company.
HTH

Sigma3rc74 responded:
I have a 7 week old and just finished my 2 week at work. I pump twice a day at work and that's enough for me to have enough for daycare the next day. I still pump on the weekends since my mom keeps DD Mon-Tues overnight so I need to send more with her.
I had an all day training class this past week and that was a bit of a challenge. I was in an unfamiliar building and only got 2 15 minute breaks and 1/2 hour for lunch - I got by, just had to be more efficient.
While I was off I pumped about 3 times a day - and rarely in the evening/night - I was just too tired. I was able to start a stockpile to get started and for "just in case."
You'll be able to pump more as the weeks go on.
Good luck and congrats on your new LO!

cutenshort13 replied to Sigma3rc74's response:
Since going back to work I pump 3 times at work, 9:30, 12:30 and 3:30. I also sometimes pump in the morning before work if DD is sleeping when I am getting ready and I will pump once more around 9 or 10 before I go to bed. On occasion I wake up feeling very full so I will pump in the middle of the night. I usually don't because DD gets up between 2 and 3 to eat but if she doesn't I need to pump or I hate my life. She only has a bottle when I am not there to nurse. On weekends I try to pump a few times a day to help my stash.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Christy, and I am 24 years old. I have a wonderful handsome husband who is 28 - and two darling little boys!! My first son is 2 years old, ...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.