Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Biting
myboys79 posted:
Hello,
Has anyone had a baby that bites while they breastfeed? My 11wk old daughter has been doing this and it's weird because it's only on one side. I've been told that it helps to remove them from the breast as kind of a punishment for biting but I think she's too young to understand that. I tried it once and she just bit harder when I latched her back on. I'm just trying to figure out why she's doing it and if there is a way to make her stop. I'm starting to get sore! I've noticed that when she has a bottle (I work so she has bottles during the day) she bites that nipple too.

Also, I have two boys that I also breastfeed and they never once bit me so this is totally new for me!

Thanks for the help!
Angie

supanova responded:
yes all of my sons 3 of them have done this my youngest is 8 mo. I rub his jaw and say no no that hurts mommy and he will stop. unfortunately it will happen whenever he is teething. Also see if your lil one is in mid feeding or pacifying if she is done nursing just remove her from the breast before she has a chance to bite.

mcelroy07 replied to supanova's response:
You baby may be biting because you milk is flowing out too fast during letdown. My best suggestion is once letdown starts then to gently pull her off the breast and wait until the flow slows down. This is also possibly the cause for the bottle. make sure you are using a slow flow nipple.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.