Skip to content
pumping question
Wendy12345678 posted:
I have not pumped before, and just bought an enexpenssive pump. I got about 3 oz out of one breast, and I'm wondering if thats about normal, or if I'm not getting out as much as I could with a better pump. Thanks in advance!!!

cutenshort13 responded:
That's what I get on a good day. I wouldn't stress about it that will just make getting more harder.

colev25 responded:
Have you tried a different sized breast shield? I was having some issues getting enough milk out. I switched to a larger size. I have an easier time now. Sometimes 3 ounces is all I get but overall it is easier. Also, have a HUGE glass of water next to you when you pump. I usually do that and I find that helps keep the milk flowing.
Good luck! Do you have to pump for work? I am a SAHM so I only pump when I know we have something going on and I want him to have a bottle.

Wendy12345678 replied to colev25's response:
Hello, and thanks. I am a SAHM, I'm just pumping for mixing with cereal, and possibly sharing with a mom who's baby needs some of the benefits of breast milk, but she doesn't make milk well. I figure if I do both breasts that I will get 5-6 ounces since there where 3 in one side. I was hoping to just get enough to share at least at least a little. I have not pumped for going out, I didn't think my son would take a bottle, but have never tried it. Does your baby take a bottle allright?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.