Skip to content
Stop Breast Feeding/Pumping
tainmism posted:
My 7 week old daughter stopped breast feeding the day we brought her home from the hospital so I have been pumping and bottle feeding ever since. I want to stop pumping and switch over to formula but I don't know how. I have had mastitis in each breast and now I think I have thrush due to the 2nd round of antibiotics - which I am currently taking now. I went from pumping every 3 hours to every 6 hours (increasing by 1 hour every week) and thought my milk supply would decrease but it has actually increased. From what I read I'm suppose to cut out a pumping session - that means I would have to go 12 hours between pumping sessions. At 6 hours I'm already in a bit of pain - is this the only way to stop? I'm afraid I'm going to get mastitis again. How long do I cut out 1 session and move to cutting out 2 sessions? I just want my breasts back to normal...can anyone help?

Wendy12345678 responded:
I'm not sure if this would work for you, but a lactation consultant told me how to lower my supply. She said to empty only one breast at a time, so you basically would empty one when you pumped for like half a day, then the other the other half the day. I had mastitis too, and I've heard you have to go really slow to avoid having them again. If your stopping because she won't nurse you can find resources to help you and her if you would continue that way. The la leche league can help.

cdjd82406 responded:
You can try taking some cold medicine. I was pumping for my preemie and got a cold. I took some cold medicine and it instantly started drying my milk up. I didn't want it drying up cause I was wanting to bf for a year if not longer. She wasn't able to latch on due to having to learn the sucking reflex and we had a lot of trouble trying to get her to latch on after she came home. If the cold medicine doesn't work, you can also try using some cabbage leaves. Just take a knife and slit open the veins in the leaves and then place them on your breasts. This works wonders. Make sure to change the leaves often as they can stick to you and be hard to peel off if you leave them on too long. Hope that this helps you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 36 y/o and I am truly blessed to have 2 beautiful and brilliant girls. My eldest is turning 9 this March and my youngest is 26 m/o. I am a proud ...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.