Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to I get my daugter to take the bottle.
kimschutz posted:
I am going back to work soon. She has been breastfeed for 11 weeks now. last week she took the bottle a couple of time and now she wont take it at all. I struggle all day with her taking the bottle. Even my husband tried during lunch time and she refused it. I have using drop in playtex. I brought three type of nipples size.. she refuse it. How long did it take for your child to take the bottle.

Thanks.

kay_kay75 responded:
Because I knew I had to go back to work I started giving my daughter a bottle at 3 weeks. It is just going to take her some time to get used to it. I talked to my doctor about it and she said that nipple confusion is a myth.

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
I don't use a bottle often bc I'm a sahm. I did have someone else give her one once a week from week 2 until week 20 or so.

She never loved it, but I made sure I was not around. That way it was bottle or nothing. Even if your in another room your lo will hear your voice and object to the bottle. Since she is already 11 months you may need to practice daily. Think of it just like other skills. They all take time to master.

Talk to a lactation consultant or your Pediatrician, too. Or look on Kellymom.com or the bump.com has a breast feeding site, too. Lots of ideas there.

ButterflyBaby1107 responded:
When you first introduce the bottle try to have someone else do it and you leave the room. It will help because if you are there they will want to feed from you. You might have to try a couple different bottles or nipples types before you find one that works for your baby. Good luck

mommyNtraining responded:
cant give you advice, but we're trying to get my daughter to take the bottle too. so far no luck yet. hopefully persistence is the key. she's 4months on the 24th this month, and has taken the bottle before when she was younger. hope it works sooner rather than later...

MNMommy3 responded:
I know this post is kinda old, but I just finally weaned my DD! Yes, it takes persistence and trial-and-error. She is 6-1/2 months old and was exclusively breastfed (plus some solids starting at 5 months). She fought me tooth and nail on the bottle! I even switched brands of bottles and she was not having it. Finally, one day I switched from Enfamil to Similac and used the Avent bottle instead of the Breastflow, and she finally gave in. I also would not give her the breast, and after about the 2nd missed feeding, she took the bottle and has been doing formula for 5 days now.

Just be very careful going cold turkey like I did. My breasts became EXTREMELY engorged and sore, and yesterday I ended up going to the urgent care because my right breast just wasn't getting better, and I had swollen lymph nodes, and sure enough I have mastitis again. My advise would just to be persistent and try different formula/bottle combinations. This is what my DD's pediatrician suggested to me. HTH and GL!
Kelly (32), DF (31), DS1 (12), DS2 (6), DD (4 months).

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm married mom of a handsome 4 year old boy named J.R. and a beautiful baby girl Kira, who was born 1/31/11. I'm BF'ing for the first tim...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.