Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Supply problem
melgomez posted:
when my daughter was born i had no problem keeping up with nursing since she was very small for her age, at 10 mos was only 11 lbs. nothing was wrong just very tiny. so when my son was born at 3 oz heavier and an inch longer i didnt think there would be any problems but he is a moose and is never satisfied after nursing, and can easily eat 2-3 oz after a nursing session, iv started doing every other feeding is a nursing session. im almost ready to give up!! can someone please give me some advice on what i can do to get my milk going again???

phoenix31674 responded:
you need to stop supplementing and let him keep sucking after he's drained your breasts to train your body how much he needs. By supplementing, you aren't giving your body the 'baby's still hungry' signal. if you are going 4-6 hours between feedings, your body will start producing less milk. With both my kids there were times when i was feeding them every 1.5 hours or so until they got my body to produce more milk.

you can also take fenugreek or mother's milk tea to encourage production, but the key is to put the baby on the breast every time he's hungry. Best of luck.

melgomez replied to phoenix31674's response:
Thanks for the info, we have tried that and it hasnt worked. i have tried herbal supplements, protein shakes and everything we could think of, but no matter how often i put him to me i wouldnt produce the milk. he could nurse for 20 min at least on each side and did that the first 4 weeks, with no problem. then he went on this growing spurt, and is 11 weeks and is already 22 inches and almost 14 lbs. he wears some 3-6 mos clothes and 6 mos clothes. We tried everything we could for weeks but no matter what we did my milk was diminishing, but ive also been stressed since the beginning, due to jaundice issues, i had surgery for gallbladder, got sick and was sick for almost 3 weeks. im still recovering from surgery and from the weight of him it made the main incision split a little. as much as i hate having to supplement he still nurses as much as i can. usually at least twice a day. but when i had my daughter the same thing happened with her, i started drying up at 5 mos and by 7 mos my milk was gone. im glad i made it this far, but we will see. Thanks for the reply!
melanie

phoenix31674 replied to melgomez's response:
unfortunately the stress and you recovering from the surgery aren't going to help matters. Have you seen a lactation consultant either through your doctor/hospital or La Leche League? They might be able to provide more personalized advice. Unfortunately if you only nurse him a couple times a day rather than every 3 hours or so, your body is going to think it doesn't need to make that much milk. Even if you supplement after, you should have him latch on first to signal to your body it needs to make more milk.

For nursing position, are you able to lie on your side and have him lie next to you? It will keep the pressure off your incision. I use this method at night when I don't really want to sit up because I'm tired. You can also use the football position where you hold the baby next to the nursing side rather than lying across your belly.

My DD was huge, born 9lbs 4oz and into 3-6, 6 month clothes by about 7 weeks. Thankfully I had no supply issues, but I stayed at home and didn't have any complications other than having a c-section, but the LC came by and gave me some advice on her latch and they were available if issues arose after delivery.

Best of luck to you and every little bit of breastmilk helps.

melgomez replied to phoenix31674's response:
We did see a lactation consultant, but for the first week we needed to supplement with a tube due to the jaundice. but i was lucky if i could latch him on for 10 min. so had to push the supplement as fast as i could. he didnt really start nursing fully on his own for about 3 weeks after delivery. mine was born at 6lb10oz then has grown now into some 6 mos clothes. i found a good position thats comfortable and he isnt on the incision. im making enough to nurse twice a day, which seems to work for both of us.

brewbaby responded:
If you really want to get your supply up, I'm a firm believer that if there is a will there is a way. DOn't supplemtn until after he has taken the breast. Keep those breast as empty as possible! You can also to don perdon(spell?) or reglin(spell?). They have to be perscribed by a doctor. Also Oatmeal, flaxseed, and brewers yeast are all lactogenic. THere are recipes online for "lactaion cookies" that taste amazing with those ingredients. ALso rest is really important. Take it easy, get plenty of sleep and water and that will help too. I've never heard of taking protein drinks to up supply. I have a friend who stoped nursing and than after she had dried up when her son was 9 months he started having health problems and the doctors wanted him on breast milk. She was going to use a breast milk bank but tried to get her supply going again. With the help of reglin and don perdon she got her supply back. Thats a month after drying up! If she can do it, you totally can.

butterfly0 replied to brewbaby's response:
I would get a pump and pump each breast for a little while after he is done if youre having to supplement afterwards. he will get fed good from the supplement and the pump will continue to stimulate. you can even save and use the milk you get from pumping so you can supplement the next feeding with it until you get the supply up again. i hope this helps.. it helped with my son.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Farin. I'm 22 and a first-time mommy. My husband is a Marine and I work part-time as a pharmacy technician. My daughter, Jazlyn, was bo...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.