Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
breastfeeding and tanning
megannohl posted:
is it ok to go salon tanning, will it affect my milk?

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
Not sure, but I subscribe to better safe than sorry. Maybe a self tanning lotion this year is best.

phoenix31674 responded:
I don't know if it will affect your milk, but remember that tanning beds are a carcinogen. Skin cancer used to be an older person's disease, but more and more women in their 20s are getting melanoma now. For me the risk of doing something that could cause cancer - that it not caught soon enough would lead my baby motherless - would be enough to convince me not to do it. From what I've read self tanners or spray tanners are generally considered safe, but I'm still leery of coating my body in chemicals while nursing.

brewbaby responded:
I know there are some self tanners that are sugar based, I got one sprayed on before my wedding and it looked amazing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Farin. I'm 22 and a first-time mommy. My husband is a Marine and I work part-time as a pharmacy technician. My daughter, Jazlyn, was bo...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.