Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sore nipples?
MommaSampson posted:
How do you solve sore nipples? My son is almost a week old and according to the nurses at the hospital he was latching correctly but my nipples are so sore and almost raw. He eats every 2 hours. I've been using the lanolin. I just don't know what to do. It hurts to feed him.

kay_kay75 responded:
You just have to give it some time, mine were sore for about 3 weeks, you might try to pump and give him a bottle for a couple of times to help aleviate the soreness. GL and stick with it you are doing great!

MNMommy3 responded:
My DD will be 6 months old soon and when she was about a week or 2 old my nipples were extremely sore, cracked and bleeding. I would cry every time it was time to nurse. For about 6 weeks I decided to just pump and feed her by bottle. Finally, once I was healed up, I put her back on the breast and she's been nursing ever since with no pain whatsoever! If you can, I say pump for a while and after they heal, try again.
Kelly (32), DF (31), DS1 (12), DS2 (6), DD (4 months).

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
I was very sore the first month or so and used lanolin constantly. Make sure the nipple area is completely dry before applying the lanolin. You don't want to trap moisture under the lanolin.

Also avoiding soap on the nipples, will help the skin not dry out.

Don't give up! Its worth it. Once you get past this stage it will be SO much better.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Laramie, I'm 27 and live in Rochester, NY. I'm happily married to my wonderful husband and I'm a SAHM to our two children. Aust...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.