Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help!
cdjd82406 posted:
I had my baby on Tuesday and she's been doing really good on breastfeeding. But today, everytime I try to get her to latch on, she arches her back and refuses to latch. I have tried different positions and even using a pillow under her for more support. I do have some formula here but I really don't want to have to give her a bottle. What can I do?

ESHmom responded:
Stay strong, don't cave in to formula. My son did this a couple of times early on too (he's 4mo now). I just switched sides and kept offering him the breast. He came around and continued eating like a champ. Another thing that helped me was to take a cool shower. You can do it! Keep at it.

Guinnessstout responded:
I hope your LO is doing better now. Just keep at it. I would also investigate whether something might be going on with her mouth that would cause her to refuse (thrush, for example).

My LO went through this (a nursing strike) at about 4 months and we just persevered, like the PP suggested. It helps to find a calm, quiet, darkened room to nurse in. Just keep offering and she should get it.

Hope that helps.
Amanda. Mommy to my sweet pea born 8/9/10. Breastfeeding and completely dairy and soy free due to allergies in Mom and Baby.

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
How is it going? Hopefully better. My lo is 9 months now, but I remember those first weeks well. Its such a huge undertaking for both of you, but so worth it!

Hang in there!!

Do you have access to a lactation consultant or a le leche group? It is so helpful to be able to get assistance, if needed.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Farin. I'm 22 and a first-time mommy. My husband is a Marine and I work part-time as a pharmacy technician. My daughter, Jazlyn, was bo...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.