Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Milk Curdled and hurts bad HELP PLEASE!!!!!
Mamanessa88 posted:
Hello Ladies
My name is Vanessa and I am breastfeeding my youngest son and hes 8months now.

Although as of last night I have had a problem with my right breast.I woke up today and it was hurting so bad,then tonight like 2 hours ago I've noticed that I have a rock hard lump or spot in my right breast and if u push on it at all it hurts really bad.

But I can still produce a bit of milk from it.My son has to suck pretty hard now to.So I think I have some curdled milk in my right side and I would like to know if any of you can give me some advice on how to get it out.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mamanessa,

I'm sorry to hear that nursing is going tough right now. I think you flagged your post on accident in an effort to get an answer right away. I hope I can point you to some good resources and set your mind at ease.

When I nursed my babies, sometimes my breasts would fill up overnight and I'd wake up with breast engorgement . That may or may not be what is happening to you, but you do not have to worry about your milk curdling inside your breast.

Engorgement is a common breastfeeding concern . When your breasts become engorged with milk, they can become hard and nipples flatten, making it harder for the baby to latch on.

Mastitis usually starts as a painful area in one breast. It may be red or warm to the touch, or both. You may also have fever, chills, and body aches.

Check out the links I provided here for some tips on reducing engorgement. If you are having other symptoms, I encourage you to see your doctor.

Hope that helps!

~Andie
:

MNMommy3 responded:
Are you running a fever or just feeling generally achy or fatigued? When my DD was about 3 weeks old I developed mastitis. One day I felt fine and the next my breast was super sore, red, and engorged. I also had a fever of 102. It was so incredibly painful! I ended up having to be put on an antibiotic and within 24 hours I felt better. I would definitely get it checked out if warm compresses and massaging it doesn't work!
Kelly (32), DF (31), DS1 (12), DS2 (6), DD (4 months).

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.