Skip to content
Question about frequency
Olivetre posted:
My DD is a week old, is it normal for her to eat about every 3-4 hours instead of 2-3 like I have read about. I sometimes pump when she hasn't woken up and I pump around 3 oz total out of both breasts. She is having plenty of wet diapers and isn't fussy. She even stays awake for about an hour or two during the day at different times and is content looking around. She also sleeps about 3-4 hours at a time during the night.

Guinnessstout responded:
Honestly, it sounds like you are doing just fine. The best indication of how well she is doing will be at her check up with the pediatrition. They will check her weight then. She should be gaining about 1 oz per day.

Good luck!
Amanda. Mommy to my sweet pea born 8/9/10. Breastfeeding and completely dairy and soy free due to allergies in Mom and Baby.

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
My DD was similar. I felt stress & pressure to feed her every 2-3 . I soon realized that my lo would do what was best for her and it would turn out better for all.

I don't know what birth weight you are dealing w, but they might try to push you to add formula, if weight doesn't rise. Fortunately my Pediatrician was br supportive.

By six weeks we were on track. And at 6 & 9 months is 50% for all charts.

BTW we also went through an hourly feeding phase. Its so unpredictable!

Olivetre replied to mom2laurenmckenna's response:
She weighed 7lbs 8oz at birth. Today she fed an hour earlier around lunch so we will see if anything changes...she has her two week check up on Monday.
With DD1 I had to supplement because I didn't produce enough but so far with DD2 I have not had to supplement. DD1 was in the 95% on all of her charts.

mom2laurenmckenna replied to Olivetre's response:
How's it going? I'm sure your check up will be great. Keep doing what's best for you and your baby!

So far so good, she is starting to eat more frequently during the day but may only wake up once or twice during the night. I would like to be able to start stocking supply for when I go back to work. Were you able to pump any extra milk?

She had her two week check up yesterday and is doing great. She now weighs 7lbs 13.5 oz. She is in the 50% on the charts. My doctor said I was doing great and if I had any concerns about her weight gain, I could bring her in and they will weigh her.

Sounds like you are on track. 50% is perfect, right!! I'm glad your Dr was encouraging!

In response to pumping, I only was able to pump after feedings or if she slept long and I was feeling full. I got as much as I could, but as a rule didn't do much. I take my DD to work w me so I only needed it for back up and emergency or sitters. The lactation consultant said if I pumped after every feeding, my supply would increase over time bc my body would know I was using/extracting every last drop. So that I would get more out of pumping.

Since I didn't need much back up milk, I didn't pump after every feeding. I did try to consistently do it at night. GL!!

brewbaby responded:
Best way to tell if your baby is getting enough food is by poop. I know sometimes people make breast feeding into a formula but the only thing that really matters is that your baby is pooping, peeing, and gaining weight. As long as thats all happening your golden! Other than that, don't stress and keep up the good work momma!

mom2laurenmckenna replied to brewbaby's response:
Pee and weight are a great indications, but not poop.

Many well fed, breast fed babies do not poop that often. Breast milk is very efficiently used. Little waste is produced. As long as poop is soft no pellets, your good.

GL! Don't stress. It's the most natural nutrition there is.

phoenix31674 replied to mom2laurenmckenna's response:
I have to agree that poop is not a great indicator. My kids would both poop every 2-4 days, sometimes going more than a week without pooping, but they were just fine because it was still soft.

I will second the pump after the baby feeds to get your body to produce more. I didn't work, but it helped me get some stores for DD. For DS we never got him to take the bottle, so it wasn't an issue with him to pump extra.

was there ever any foods you noticed that caused gas in your lo?

Indian curries for sure gas and more. Other things I was never good at pin pointing. I used a combo of gas drops, bicycle legs and clockwise tummy circular massage often to keep gas build up at bay.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Laramie, I'm 27 and live in Rochester, NY. I'm happily married to my wonderful husband and I'm a SAHM to our two children. Aust...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.