Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is my milk supply low?
Anon_234998 posted:
I started out exclusively breastfeeding, but when the doctor was concerned about her weight gain, I started pumping and feeding her through bottles to make sure she was eating enough to gain weight. Now she is a happy and healthy 2 month old that weighs 11lbs 3oz. I am now feeding her from my breasts in the mornings and when I am home and use bottles when I have to go out or my mom watches her for a little or when dad wants to feed her. I have noticed that when she feeds from my breast she doesn't seem to get full. Instead she gets fussier and seems angry and I've even had to run to the kitchen and heat up a bottle. Could the fact that she sleeps at least 6/7 hours at night and so do I be making the difference in my milk supply? She typically takes 4 ounces every 3 hours. When I've pumped I've noticed I'm only producing around 3 to 3 1/2 ounces altogether every 3 hours. Any suggestions, tips?

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
Sounds like she's become a lazy nurser. Its less work w most bottle nipples than it is the breast. Keep at it. Also. The pump is not as efficient ass nursing baby. Its not a good gauge for what she's getting.

Try two things. One, when you nurse have a routine. Go to the same spot or use the same blanket. Make sure you relaxed an undistracted. Two, pump after every nursing session. This will increase your supply.

In addition transition her back to more bf less bottle. It won't take long for her to fully appreciate the source and the two of you will have the special nursing bound again.

emg6111 replied to mom2laurenmckenna's response:
You were right! I am no longer using any bottles. Just breast and she is no longer fussy! Also, while she sleeps at night, I get to pump and freeze that milk for any emergencies that may occur. I am so happy and so is she. We have a bond that is incredible. Thanks so much!

www.divave.wordpress.com

phoenix31674 replied to emg6111's response:
Glad it's worked out for you. Some doctors get a bit antsy because with breastfeeding you don't know how many ounces the baby is getting even though that is not a good indicator of how many calories they are getting. Your body adjusts the composition of breastmilk based on what your baby needs. As long as your baby is making plenty of wet diapers, everything should be good.

Spotlight: Member Stories

First time mom just trying to figure it all out.. Have a beautiful son Sean born 5~3~2012

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.