Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain while breastfeeding
momof2grls26 posted:
I have an 11 week old whom i have been breastfeeding since day one. the first two weeks were the worst but we got through them and then it was smooth sailing, until we got thrush. We made it through that too. But, now we are back again to where my nipples are red, sore, peeling, cracking, and bleeding...I have no idea why. I dont think its thrush again because my baby doesnt have the white spots in her mouth. I did however get the mirana put in about two weeks ago and this onset started about a week ago which was also when i started having a period(?). Could the mirana be causing me to have this problem? I still have meds left over from the thrush and have been putting it on my nipples. They are so sore that i have resorted to pumping only which isn't any better but at least i dont feel like crying while doing it.

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
I think you should see you obgyn to.make sure everything is ok with your iud. I have an iud as well, paragaurd. I had it put in at 4 1/2 months post natal. Also, can you use lanolin? This helped me stay "supple" and not get dried out skin which leads to cracking et. all.

Sounds to me like you're being quite a trooper considering everything. Don't give up. At 10 months we're still nursing strong. I'm so glad I stuck w it.

Also, do you have access to a lactation consultant and/or a le leche league? These are both so helpful.
Me, 36, DD 43, Lauren McKenna, 10/12/10

ButterflyBaby1107 responded:
You should try to see a lactation consultant if you can. Maybe your baby is not latching on properly. Some people say to rub a little bit of your breast milk on your nipples and try to let them air dry, for some reason breast milk seems to help clear things up. Do you wear breast pads--maybe you are allergic to them or something. Definately try to talk to or go see someone for help.

ESHmom responded:
Sore nipples around your period is normal. I put extra cream on them and that helps. Also, I've found that a few days before my period, I try to boost my calcium intake as well. I've had 3 periods now (baby is 5/5 mo) and it's gotten progressively better with each period--less pain.

Hope this helps!
Keep up the grea bf!

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.